DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. I'm currently shopping the market for a new truck and wanted to come to the enthusiasts for some help and myth busting.

I bought a 2010 gmc 1500 2 years ago new for 32k out the door. 2 years later and 20k miles I was offered a trade in value from a gmc dealer for 30k. I was going to buy Gmc again but decided to go take a spin in a new ram. MAN was I impressed. So the dodge dealership said they'll match the GM dealerships trade. I have a few statements from a GM sales person and wanted to get your unbiased (please try haha) option. I'm in medical sales so I don't believe everything a sales person says but Don't know enough about dodge/ ram to be accurate.

1) warranty isn't owned by Chrysler/Dodge so its a pain to get any warranty work done
2) Ram gets worse gas mileage and is a less efficient motor because the don't use def
3) he admitted at the cummins was the a better motor than the duramax but with the tranny that's on it was not a good package
4) the tubular frame of the gmc was much better and more stable for towing than the C frame dodge uses.
5) the interior of the dodge will start rattling like crazy because EVERY thing is plastic and wears out and breaks...then warranty Won't fix...he stressed "every"
6) because of the tubular Frame of the gmc the single wheel rear can pull 18.6k and Ram can't come close to that even with the towing package, dual trans coolers ect.
7) the GM has a true locking rear diff. The Ram doesnt..it only has the limited slip..I guess I'm a little confused since I thought the locking diff was basically a LSD

Currently I'm looking at towing 2-3 cars with gooseneck trailer. I have a, what I think, is a kick a$$ deal on a ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 long bed. They have matched a deal from gmc of my truck plus 15k otd (55k total price for Ram)

This truck seems to have everything. I went back to gmc and showed him the invoice for this ram. He could only match the ram with a Denali 3500 but could only get to my truck plus 22k otd.

Again thanks for all your advice. I understand at I came to a ram forum to request info about GM vs. ram but I try to gather all of my facts to make the final decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Options
Leather trimmed seats
Heated second row seats
Ventilated front seats
Low back buckets
Customer preferred package 2FH
Protection group
Transfer skid plate
Monotone paint
Body color flares
Electronic stability control
5500lb front axle
3.73 rear axle
Tip start
Trans cooler
Dual Trans cooler power adjustable pedals with memory
Remote start
115 volt aux
Rear power sliding window
Steering wheel mounted audio controls

Dual climate
Nav
Media 730n
Unconnect
Alpine with subwoofer
Memory for radio seats mirrors

·
Registered
103 Posts
Chrysler owns the warranty. You can go to ANY campground in the country, locate the lots with the big 5th wheel campers in them and see a ram 3500 parked next to them, they can do the work. Honestly when talking about towing in this class, the debate should include ford as they are probably the leader in the upper classes. I regularly towed 18k#-20k# with my F450. Also, hauled 3 cars on a gooseneck ONCE. 5th wheel is the only way to go

·
Registered
1 Posts
He was mistaken on the frame. Dodge uses a fully boxed frame, ford is the one that uses the c channel frame. The cummins engine also has the edge over the duramax in torque at 800 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks. I'm glad I asked. Am I going to run into any problems with having a long bed rather than a standard? Is it going to flex more or cause problems if I want to lift the truck? Does it decrease towing capabilities?

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
One member bought a 3500 Ram recently, if i remember correctly, he was going to travel a lot, pulling a trailer.
After they tested it out, he turned it back in & went for a brand that could handle the weight of the trailer.
They loved everything else about the Ram, except tow capacity

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
always get the out the door price on a new vehicle before you talk trade. i would never buy a diesel engine that needs an additive. there is nothing that the salesman said that is true. i believe with what you are towing you get the dullie regardless of what you choose. it will be more stable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Just got back from the dealership and was ready to do the transaction. The 2 managers said they could match the GM deal of my trade plus 15-17. Their final offer was my trade plus 27k. I told them I really liked the dodge but not for a 10 k difference. I'll have to walk away for that much. The Ram is an awesome truck...I'm very impressed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts