DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You read it right, recently I was cleaning the door jambs and I decided to remove the rubber gaskets on the lower inside of the doors, the ones held on by the plastic push pins, to clean off the gunk and road grime. I was disgusted by what I found. Rust has already taken hold on the metal of the rear driver door. I went to the purchasing dealer for an oil change soon thereafter, and while the salesman couldn't be bothered, he was at least kind enough to point me in the direction of the service manager. The SM kindly went outside with me, and when I removed the gasket, he was surprised by what he saw. He told me that should it "rust thru" during the warranty period, DC will replace the door, rather than try and fix and repaint. He didn't elaborate on what "rust thru" entailed, but my guess is that it will "never be a big enough hole" for them to do anything about it. What would you all do, and what should I document, has anyone had issues on a truck this new before?

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
My drivers side A pillar had rust appearing next to the windshield (2017 and 2 months old) it was from some damage done by either at the dealer or on route from the manufacturer. The dealer I brought the truck from paid out of pocket and fixed it properly. This shit should not be happening to a new vehicle period. Id take it back and tell them they sold you a defective truck and have them replace the door and not to paint it. Who knows, it might be happening to the other doors too. I'll be checking mine tomorrow thx.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yikes! That looks like an area on my '78 Ford - should not have that on a '17!
Now I see myself pulling the seals off of mine..........
Are you in a road-salting area?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yikes!

I believe the warranty only covers rust perforation. I would go check mine but I am out of the country until Spring so I guess this will be a little demon in the back of my head until then. DC will not replace the door, FCA might, but DC hasn't owned Ram since Ram was Dodge and they were still building 3rd gens.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Get in touch with the regional service rep (can't remember the correct name) document every interaction, and demand repairs.
We should all check this area, possible class action suit?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yes, but how many people have looked under the trim. I forgot where open is from..but in the snow belt rust like that will never stop growing! I'm afraid to look at mine!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I checked the drivers side doors on mine quickly. Where the OP has rust is right where there should be seam sealer. Wondering if it was just a bad seam sealer application from the factory that ended up letting water partially into the joint and just sitting there.

Behind my weatherstrips are DIRTY, but no rust so far. I plan on removing them completely and cleaning up behind them this weekend. Will probably wax the area before putting the weatherstrips back on. Also plan on spraying rustproofing in the lower door area so that should help prevent rust from starting on the inside of the joint.

·
Registered
604 Posts
FWIW my wifes GMC Terrain had a recall about possible rust under the door sills. Even though there was no rust they did work to it to prevent it from rusting, and this is what Chrysler should be doing for us.

·
Premium Member
32,781 Posts
At the Warren Michigan Assembly Plant, they assemble all of the naked sheet metal,
there is nothing but the sheet metal attached,
it is dipped into a huge vat of rust proofing solution or maybe cleaning solution, :4-dontknow:
when it drips dry, they then primer & paint the sheet metal

if you watch this video especially at about the 1 minute mark, you will see the dipping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJOTBqrgCn4

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
That dip should be the electrogalvanizing bath

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's beyond scary.. enough to make me stop eating dinner and take a look see... my stomach will churn if I see the same and I have a '16... it was the whole point of buying new!!!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Ok checked mine and its fine but I did notice those seals hole water pretty good considering it hasn't rained here almost all week. Time to spray some silicone under there.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
After you wash your truck or after a rain, go out and open the doors. You will see that the bottom seal is actually sealing the drain holes when the door is closed and not letting the water drain out. The seals are also trapping dirt, sand, salt and water behind them. It`s no wonder the doors rot out at the bottom.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
It`s no wonder the doors rot out at the bottom.

Have you seen a 4th gen with rotted out door bottoms?

Just curious, they don't salt much where I live

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Yeah I noticed that when I checked my seals yesterday...the drain holes in the bottom of the doors are pretty large, but they cant let much out if the weatherstrip closes against them with the door closed!

And the weatherstrip traps dirt behind it, which I imagine could eventually abrade the paint, but not sure if its enough to cause rust to set in. Most likely the drains not draining is the bigger deal.

Get a couple cans of fluid film and carefully shoot some sideways through the drain holes. Be careful, though, it is known to swell rubber (like the weatherstrip). Since they seem to come off fairly easily, it might be best to remove the lower weatherstrip before you spray the FF.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Oh My Goodness.............

I've never thought of looking. Mine's a 2011 so...... :4-dontknow:

Some fantastic videos on engine building. How would you like to do that all day long?:doh:

I bet the paycheck would be worth it................

·
Premium Member
32,781 Posts
The weatherstrip around the doors looks like this

the bottom of the door looks like this

After you take off the inner door panel, the whole inside of your door is accessible
Look next to the door latching mechanism, you should see a squarish rubber access panel.
One of the images below shows that access panel open, the other is closed

1 - 20 of 36 Posts