DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I'm getting nearer to buying a tonneau cover for my truck. I pretty much know what I want but have a few concerns. I want a roll up type (so I can roll it out of the way and get my bike in the truck), and I want it to be locking (as in you can't open it with the tailgate up and locked).

I know there are other threads similar to this but what I'm REALLY looking for picture wise is where the rails mount to the bed. In some pics I've seen it almost looks like the the beds are not square and the covers follow this shape, and it looks funny to me, so I want to see some real pictures, not pictures put up in ads...

Thanks for any help! (this is of course for 4th gens...)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sean - don't know if this helps you or not but here's my OEM one. Why roll up? before this I had a backflip on my F150 and loved it. Could open up just as much of the bed as I needed - even all of it for hauling my golf cart or balloon. You can cut through a soft cover, i.e. roll up - the folding models to me are much more secure. Good luck in whatever you choose...

(Oh and yes, I pulled the black tape off - looks much better!)

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good about the B pillar tape! It looks so much better w/o it!

Thanks for the pic. So am I correct that towards the cab there is more bed rail exposed than at the end near the tailgate? As in, the bed is not "square"?

I like the roll ups/soft covers. From what I can tell all the hard covers don't fold out of the way enough. Even the bakflip protrudes like 4" or so when fully folded and this would get in the way of tying my bike down (ok I didn't measure but I think it would....). Also it blocks the rear view out the window. I just like the roll ups....personal preference. As far as security, if it locks and can't be opened just by hand then I'm ok with that. I understand you could cut it and get in, but (no offense) you could pry yours or any other hard one open with a pry bar (or cut it open with a saw). That's the way I look at it. I just want to keep the honest people away I guess lol. Out of sight out of mind....I never had an issue with my button on roll up on my ford, but now that they have these "locking" soft covers I may as well get that.

I was looking at the one made by Access, I think it's called the sport tonneau or something like that, it's the really low profile one, I like that one a lot. It's just that since the bed isn't "square" I'm afraid it'll look strange...

·
Registered
45 Posts
On my Dakota, I had a Truxedo Trucksport and that was only able to open with the tailgate down, so if you had a locking tailgate that would work great, rolled up to about 1" out from the rear window. I dont think I have any pictures of the inside of it but it was just two little tabs you had push from the underside to release it. You could also change how tight it was as well to you can account for it expanding in the summer heat and so on. I really liked it.

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
Very nice looking... Thanks for the pics....

Ed

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the covers from the older trucks fit? Cause there was one FS on the forum but I didn't think it'd fit...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jack Rabbit

I have the Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit (not the Full-Metal version). I've been happy with it. Dealer-installed. When it arrived, it was actually a panel or two short (from the factory). P-E sent a new one overnight and were very apologetic for the mistake. I figured I'd show a picture or two of it BEFORE they got it right, just so you guys can see what I mean. To the original poster: sounds like you have similar criteria to me...this is a slick system.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
So the covers from the older trucks fit? Cause there was one FS on the forum but I didn't think it'd fit...

I heard they didnt but i got one from a guy from work for $100, i figured if it didnt fit i could flip it. Im running outside right now to snap a pic. The best part of the extang is it comes off in 60 seconds and only weighs 15lbs or so. If you end up needing to take it off it isnt a pain in the butt. Ill post that pic in a min

1 - 13 of 13 Posts