DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Ram Big Horn, 5.7 Hemi
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had to have my pinion shaft bearing replaced two or three times in the 15 years I've had my truck, and the place that does the work tells me that this is a typical problem with the Dodge Ram. He says that the same bearing in Ford and Chevy gives no problems.

I'm told by the shop owner that they have communicated with Chrysler about this but have been told that there are no problems. Well, the "no problem" keeps cropping up in my truck.

Is there a permanent fix for this, or has Chrysler come up with a solution?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Had a gazillion miles on my last Ram, and many more on work trucks. Never had a pinion bearing issue. Carrier bearings on one of them. Dont take this as the Gospel, but I think Ferd and Cheby use shims to set the pinion pre-load on these axles. I think Dodge uses a crush-sleeve. This works fine, but, if the gears don't mesh right in the set-up, the sleeve has to be replaced, and it has to be done over again. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. But this was my understanding. Bottom line, I might think about another shop Bro.

G

·
Just replaced mine about a month ago. Had to do rear u joint as well. It literally crumbled in my hand when I got it off. I think this might have been the underlying cause of pinion seal leak???? It's a really easy job/cheap part. I would ditch the shop. However if this occurs regularly I would have a driveline expert check out the balance etc... Mine is still dry after a weekend of hard wheeling. Now I have bad ball joint. Just can't win. It's as bad as the boat!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. I didn't know that Dodge used a crush sleeve instead of shims. All I know for sure is that the repairs didn't stop the first two bearings from going. I generally have always avoided messing with rear ends and have left that kind of work to shops. If the thing goes again, I might suck it up and let the dealer do the repair ($$$).

Strychnine23, I'd give you dollars to donuts that the worn-out U joint trashed your seal. Probably shaking and vibrating pretty badly. Good thing you found that it was bad when you did - slinging a drive shaft is a bummer.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Swaggerville. I'll bring that up to the shop if I have to have the bearing replaced again.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good information. Seems like that is the issue with my 2016 Laramie. Alot of humming noise coming from the rear end. Got it scheduled to be look at by my local mechanic next Tuesday. Job doesn't seem that hard, but I don't have all the right tools to get it done correctly and quickly. Hope it goes well!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Might not look difficult on the surface, but I'm told that alignment of the bearing involves using shims that can be of different dimensions in different vehicles. For all I know, that's the problem - incorrect OEM shim specs, but I'm not about to start experimenting. Besides, at 70 y/o, I'm just not all enthusiastic about dealing with that dang 90 weight rear-end grease! I'd take it to a rear-end shop myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts