DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

I recently installed the Volant CAI on my 2010 and now I'm looking to do the exhaust side. I'm planning to do shorty headers, Y pipe, and Magnaflow muffler. What kind of performance gains can I expect from doing these mods?

Thanks.

JJ

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just got my exhaust done last Saturday and notice a huge difference in performance and sound I love my exhaust :). I have true dual flowmaster 50 series(2) and live it. Got rid of my Y pipe. I'm glad i did it. I believe I gained 15hp and 10tq on just the exhaust and I have a K&N filter drop in and notice a difference as well :).

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
you will definitely feel a performance gain with the setup your considering... and 2300, you would get better performance if you didn't go the flow way... ran flow 50's for a year and got sick of the interior noise so I switched to mags just to be quieter in cab and immediately showed gains in my track times..

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
ran flow 50's for a year and got sick of the interior noise so I switched to mags just to be quieter in cab and immediately showed gains in my track times..
ive had the same thing happen with a different car of mine

OP,

find a sound you like, get a single in dual out muffler and have an exhaust shop weld it in in place of the stock one and you have a catback already. The factory piping is 3" and will handle all the power you feel like throwing at it, no need for the exhensive catback route

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
ive had the same thing happen with a different car of mine

OP,

find a sound you like, get a single in dual out muffler and have an exhaust shop weld it in in place of the stock one and you have a catback already. The factory piping is 3" and will handle all the power you feel like throwing at it, no need for the exhensive catback route
Exactly right. The factory supplied system isn't all that bad (minus that horrible manifold) and is easily upgradeable, just switch out the pieces you don't like such as the manifold,Y-Pipe, and muffler. After your all done it will still be cheaper purchasing a complete kit from companies like Flowmaster, Corsa, or Magnaflow and the performance gains are arguably the same.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey gang,

Thanks for the replies. Like my original post stated, I'm only replacing the Y pipe, muffler and manifolds. The rest will remain as is. As far as sound goes, the less obnoxious it is, the better. I'm really not about the noise anymore. Maybe twenty years ago, but not now.

JJ

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Hey gang,

Thanks for the replies. Like my original post stated, I'm only replacing the Y pipe, muffler and manifolds. The rest will remain as is. As far as sound goes, the less obnoxious it is, the better. I'm really not about the noise anymore. Maybe twenty years ago, but not now.

JJ
Than definitely go for a Magnaflow or Corsa muffler, looking forward to seeing the progress on your truck

·
Registered
105 Posts
The shortys dont do much of anything on Hemi engines. Youd be much better off getting LT's. Many kits include high flow cats and can use the stock O2 sensor locations. You are going to need to cut up the exhaust to do a Y and muffler anyways, so save your dollars for something that works on your motor.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting comments about the shorty headers. You're the first I've read here on the forum with negative input. Why do you say they don't do anything? Very curious...

JJ

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
The shortys dont do much of anything on Hemi engines. Youd be much better off getting LT's. Many kits include high flow cats and can use the stock O2 sensor locations. You are going to need to cut up the exhaust to do a Y and muffler anyways, so save your dollars for something that works on your motor.
Very curious to know why you say that, when they dyno'd the 03 Ram with only cat4ward headers they gained 15HP and 14TQ,
http://products.jbaheaders.com/assets/dyno/03hemi_dyno.jpg

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was going to buy a set myself. When I went to my buddy's performance shop he advised me against them. He had installed many around town and the results are non existent on the hemi for some reason. He did dyno runs on a few with the exact same hp as before. Something that has to do with early restriction. The tubes need to be long and smooth to avoid back pressure and shortys don't provide that. They do look better than stock, but if gains are what you want then go LTs.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I have both lt's and shorty's and altho the lt's perform the best, the shorty's do perform better than stock..I would like to know if anything was done on the exhaust besides the shorty headers because the rest of the exhaust system is a bottleneck... o yea, i would avoid your buddys shop if he really thinks the shorty's performance gain is nonexistent..tell him to stick to cars an gm's

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
.....o yea, i would avoid your buddys shop if he really thinks the shorty's performance gain is nonexistent..tell him to stick to cars an gm's

hahaa stick to cars and GM's, nice

Oddly enough a buddy here in town might be trading up his 09 1500 to a newer Diesel and said he'd give me a deal on his ARH's if he goes that route, I'm just curious to know if they'll fit my 11 alright, I think they're the 1 7/8" with cats. Do you throw codes at all?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I appreciate someone who could've taken my money and instead gave me the simple observation that his dyno showed no gains with the shortys installed. It's your money so do what you like. I will continue to believe what his dyno says and not some manufacturers website.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
^what other mods did he have on that dyno. There could be more to it, for example if he had the oem muffler there would probably be little gain because the muffler is still the biggest restriction.

Not trying to argue, but there's probably hundreds of dyno's that show improvements with shorty's on google vs. the one your guy showed you. I'd bet there's something else that is causing his dyno to show loss in power.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glad U are enjoying your Hemi. I bought a new 2012 SLT shortbed with the Hemi and had dual flowmaster 50s installed. U mention the Y pipe, best I can tell mine has dual catalytic converters coming off the headers and then both exhast pipes run down the passenger side where the dual flowmasters are in line and then out the back of the truck. That sound right on yours. Have a Good One!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts