DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 mineral gray crew cab. It has the stainless bumpers and nerf bars. I plan on plasti dipping the wheels soon and was thinking about doing the bumpers and step bar too. Has anyone done this? Was hoping to see some pics or get further suggestions before getting out the spray.

Thanks!

·
Registered
537 Posts
That will look great....just put new black American Racing Rims on my Mineral Gray yesterday.....looks awesome! Thinking about dipping my chrome step bars to match.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree I think it will look great but I don't think plastidip will hold up well on the step bars.. I personally plan on spraying mine with Rhino Liner.

Great looking truck.. Mineral Gray was my first color choice!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I'll post pics once i actually get around to doing this.

I agree I think it will look great but I don't think plastidip will hold up well on the step bars.. I personally plan on spraying mine with Rhino Liner.
Before I invest in the Rhino Liner, I figure I can Plasti Dip it to at least good an idea of what it will look like. My bed is already Rhino Lined, so why not do the step bar too. Hey, maybe if I like the bumpers in black, they will get Rhino Liner on them too!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks! I'll post pics once i actually get around to doing this.

Before I invest in the Rhino Liner, I figure I can Plasti Dip it to at least good an idea of what it will look like. My bed is already Rhino Lined, so why not do the step bar too. Hey, maybe if I like the bumpers in black, they will get Rhino Liner on them too!
Do it!!:smileup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am going to pull the trigger on doing my 2012 sport-wheels, black and a couple coats of glossifier. Truck is black

·
Registered
20 Posts
How is the plasti-dip lasting on the wheels? I'm thinking about doing mine but don't want to waste my time if it doesn't last.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've been thinking about doing the same to my wheels for a change. Has anyone removed the plastidip from the chrome wheels yet? How does it look after?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I did my bumpers rims grille and badges about a year back. the only thing that's peeling is the front bumper do to a piece of plywood on the highway getting tossed around
sorry for the filthy truck lol
That looks really nice. Even though the truck is dirty, you wouldn't even really be able to tell that they weren't factory painted that way.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Not trying to jack the thread, just wanted to answer the question of it's durability...

I've had my wheels plasti dipped for about 4 or 5 months now and they've held up pretty good. Well great actually considering there are no scuffs or rips on any part. When I got in an accident, a piece of my wheel was chipped of and only took that part of the plasti dip with it. It did not tear any of it around it. I did mine with black and left it matte, I added the glossifier to my fiance's wheels and they seem to stay cleaner looking than mine do lol Once I get the time I'm going to add a couple more coats to mine and apply glossifier with it. I've heard of people needing to touch them up, but I haven't come to see the need for that yet.

The only issue I've had with them is when I clean them. It's easy to leave spots or streaks on them so what I do is spray them with a light degreaser and then wash with auto soap and rinse. Leaving the degreaser on will leave streaks, and spraying tire shine leaves spots so you'll need to be careful if you shine your tires with a spray can.

I've done 4 sets of wheels so far and they all still look great!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally found the time (and weather) to get this done! :Banana01:

I plastidipped the wheels and cross on the grill. I used a total of slightly under 2 cans (recommended is 1 can per wheel :wow:)

Cleaned the truck right before. Not super shiny, but a hell of a lot cleaner than before...

Some prep photos...

And finally what it looks like with some dip!

First coat^

I think the black accents go well with the mineral gray paint and the black windows too. I was thinking about doing the bumpers and side step too, but who knows... We'll see, maybe someday.

Let me know what you think! :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm a big plasti dip fan...My brother an I went nuts on my truck...We did the wheels, door handles, gas tank cover, side mirrors, rear bumper, grille, badges, nerf bar, and truck box so that the blacks matched. Also used plasti dip "smoke" on the tail and bed light covers which turned out awesome (takes a crap ton of coats for that (maybe 20 for the tint I wanted). The only think I would suggest is more coats then recommended. I went too light on my nerf bar which peeled from the bottom (which you can see in the pics), and also use a light at different angles to really make sure your coats are even.

The cool part is that if there is any "lip" you can peel it. Which you can see on my wheels...that ring really made it pop...same with the center cap. The other beauty...there is no commitment with pasti dip...you don't like it...peel it! Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
definitely liking how the wheels came out! I've got pretty much the same truck (except my grill is chrome too like the bumpers) I was considering doing my wheels but I didn't want them to look cheap and tacky but it doesn't look that way with yours... how many coats did you have to do?

·
Registered
72 Posts
definitely liking how the wheels came out! I've got pretty much the same truck (except my grill is chrome too like the bumpers) I was considering doing my wheels but I didn't want them to look cheap and tacky but it doesn't look that way with yours... how many coats did you have to do?
That was probably 5-6ish....However if I were to go back and do it again ( my bro and I were drinking heavily, lol)...I would pull the wheels and probably run more like 7-8 coats. We did it with the wheels on and in the right light I can see light spots....Most will never know..but I know...and that bothers me, HA!

It does look clean...like impressively clean. Many non trucky types think they are after market...others think I had them professionally powder coated...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts