DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got up the courage to plasti dip my bumper. I think it looks good from a distance, but when you look up close you can see lines where I stopped and started. Any tips of advice for when I decide to do my front bumper? Thanks in advance.

Also, the black plastic piece wasn't put back on the bumper yet when I took this pic, that's why you see the chrome behind where the license plate goes. I'll try to get some updated pics when I get a chance. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
Looks good in the picture. Reps for dipping and posting. How many coats did you put on. Usually the more coats you put on the less lines you see. They tend to blend in better.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good in the picture. Reps for dipping and posting. How many coats did you put on. Usually the more coats you put on the less lines you see. They tend to blend in better.
Thanks! I put 3 coats on. This was my first experience with plasti dip and the can said 3-4 coats average, so I just went with three. I may redo it in the future when I do my front bumper and possibly the grill.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good! Have you thought about dipping your badges?
Appreciate it! I have thought about dipping the badges. I am going for all black, slowly but surely lol. I plan to debadge the tailgate and if I don't debadge the doors then I will dip them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good.. Usually 4 coats works good and just make sure to do long smooth strokes and overlap. I love my blacked out emblems and bumpers+ grill.. Looks awesome.
The lines I'm referring to are where I overlapped, but maybe a 4th coat would have done the trick. I'll keep that in mind when I do my front bumper. Thanks!

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
I would plan for 1 can per coat. You could probably get away with two cans. Really depends on how thick you put it on.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I dipped my entire truck and i learned that if you do not spray from a far enough distance you will get those lines no matter how many coats you use

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I put 6 or 7 coats on my bumpers. Spray about 8-12" away from the bumper. I have zero lines.
Keep your cans of Plasti-Dip warm by sitting them in a pan of hot water or sitting in the sun if it's warm (18c or higher). It really helps it to spray better.

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
I dipped my entire truck and i learned that if you do not spray from a far enough distance you will get those lines no matter how many coats you use
Dood! I really hope you didn't use rattle cans for the whole thing.

I'm thinking about doing that as well. Figure it should cost around $300 for enough of the gallon cans of plasti-dip.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Dood! I really hope you didn't use rattle cans for the whole thing.

I'm thinking about doing that as well. Figure it should cost around $300 for enough of the gallon cans of plasti-dip.
yea.. i did haha did it kinda on a last minute whim. I had help though. So far its holding up pretty well. I drive my truck through a lot of brush for some of my jobs and it gets pretty muddy as well. The mud washes off pretty easily if you dont let it sit for a couple days with this heat. Anything that cant be fixed with the water hose i just touch up with the spare can I have in the truck. It's really easy to maintain

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
More layers of dip, Iveyusmc. I have my bumpers done now for a bit and have been on a couple dirt roads with no damage. I have at least 6 layers (I forgot to count) on mine with no issues.

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
I plasti diped my front grille and it has rock chips where spots of chrome show through are you worried about that at all?
More layers of dip, Iveyusmc. I have my bumpers done now for a bit and have been on a couple dirt roads with no damage. I have at least 6 layers (I forgot to count) on mine with no issues.
Yes, yes! More layers. I've had my front bumper and grille dipped for over a year now and no chips. But I have 5 layers on it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does the plastidip coating hold up to a pressure washer and bristle brush when washing? I am considering doing my bumpers and possibly the RAM logos.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Just throwing this out there, the glossifier from plasti dip works great. I used it maybe two weekends ago?? I tested it on a piece of metal with five coats of plasti dip on it and the hit it with the glossifier. Still peels off super easy and it doesnt have that dull color to it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts