DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It took some time to mask it off properly, but luckily, plastidip applies very easily. I had a little dripping the first time, I've never been great with spray paint, but I just had to wait for it to dry, pull it off, and try it again. I got it right the second time.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Looks great, love the crosshairs painted, have contemplated doing it myself even though i painted my entire grill factory color

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Prep was easy enough. I took the grille off, and took the emblem and inserts out, which is the hardest part of the whole thing. I cleaned it with soapy water and some wax and tar remover. Then I masked off the parts of the grille that I didn't want painted, which takes time, to get good curves at the base of each leg. I covered the rest of the grille with taped on newspaper. Once the masking was finished, I cleaned the parts I was going to paint one last time with alcohol, and then I just sprayed the plastidip on. I put 3 good coats on. I was going to put on a 4th, but the can ran out. I don't think it really matters, I put down a lot of material.

The key for this is to lightly run a razor blade around the masked areas before you removed the masking. If you don't, you could easily tear some of the plastdip off in the process of removing the masking. You just want to cut through the plastidip, you don't want to cut into the grille.

I also did the backing of the emblem at the same time. I think the gloss black in the emblem would have looked weird with the flat black of the cross hairs, so I just sprayed it alongside the grille.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Dude! That looks just awesome. What brand of plastidip did you use? I really don't know anything about plastidip but it LOOKS AWESOME! REPS!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Nice Job !.. Did mine as well with the same stuff.. Love those retrofits !..

·
Registered
553 Posts
Rise man that looks really good cant wait to see it on Saturday at Umass hoepfully no rain, or if you make it to bass pro show on thursday

·
Registered
134 Posts
Plasti dip for the win. Nice work.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Very nicely done sir!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts