DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so just bought this 97 truck and nothing but problems, when cold the oil pressure gauge is at half way mark then warmed up drops to 0 has knock at that point then when I rev it the light and gauge goes back to normal :smiledown::SHOCKED: and the trans feels like when in drive it feels like the trans is not engaged (slipping) than after moving a few ft it takes of kind of normal:Wow1: I have dropped both pans replaced filters, oils, oil pump have straight 40w oil and replaced the intake plenum gasket still no improvement someone please help

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
I wish I'd seen this before you had dropped the pan.

You're going to have to change the bearings. Mains and may as well do the connecting rods. Check into a Melling high volume pump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
partly fixed

As a last resort I changed the oil pressure sending unit and it's fine but I'm still having trans troubles feels like I'm pulling a trailer in first gear if I give it gas super slowly it will drive fine??????? Anyone

Update it does shift in 1,2 in manual but in drive from a stop it's drags to take off

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Ok so just bought this 97 truck and nothing but problems, when cold the oil pressure gauge is at half way mark then warmed up drops to 0 has knock at that point then when I rev it the light and gauge goes back to normal :smiledown::SHOCKED: and the trans feels like when in drive it feels like the trans is not engaged (slipping) than after moving a few ft it takes of kind of normal:Wow1: I have dropped both pans replaced filters, oils, oil pump have straight 40w oil and replaced the intake plenum gasket still no improvement someone please help
How many miles are on the truck. The knock if oil related could be a bad pump, clogged pickup screen, or even worn rod bearings (worst case). The transmission, rebuild the valve body and adjust the bands... If you get slip in 1-2 shift then you are going to need a rebuild (bad front clutch lip seal). Also be sure to replace the oil pressure sending unit... It might be bad and it would be good to replace just incase, especially since you will want to diagnose oil pressure when you repair the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts