DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all.
So here's my situation. 2001 Laramie 5.2 4x4 with 143,000 miles. This is now my daily driver. My water pump is bad. Gotta change it. The question is while I'm in there should i replace the plenum plate and gasket as well? It's not giving me any problems but...??

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Yes. Absolutely. You're already in there. Definitely. Use an aftermarket aluminum upgrade plate. Why spend $ you don't have to? Cuz it will fail, and the time you could've saved is worth FAR more than the cost of the kit.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Hey y'all.
So here's my situation. 2001 Laramie 5.2 4x4 with 143,000 miles. This is now my daily driver. My water pump is bad. Gotta change it. The question is while I'm in there should i replace the plenum plate and gasket as well? It's not giving me any problems but...??

If you want to go to the alum. plate let me know, I have a complete intake with the aluminum plate on it - intake is slightly modified.

I am near Pittsburgh also, if you are interested in going that route.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gen1dak, that was my thought. I'll tear into it this evening.

Tacos, i may be interested. Define slightly modified please.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, it's update time. Water pump off and replaced no problem. Replaced idler pully as well, it was feeling a little crunchy. Tensioner seems okay.

Removed intake and found that 5 of the six bolts on the drivers side were barely tightened down at all and number 6, in the very back, was broken off. Not cool.

I set the i take on its side and removed the plenum and there was no sign of a bad gasket at all, however, there is pools of oil. If the gasket was good, where's the oil comi g from? Blow by from the pcv?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
The gasket may not look bad, but can still let oil by. The one side is hot oil, the other a deep vacuum.

PCV does let oil into the intake also - usually not puddles though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GTyankee, not sure if its hughes or not defiantly not going back stock. I just stumbled across an old post about a throttle body mod that I may be doing as well. ?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The gasket may not look bad, but can still let oil by.

X2! You can get the plate like hughes sells a few different places or make your own out of 1/4" aluminum plate. Make sure you use fel pro gaskets and loc tight the bolts in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took a while but its done. Had to pull the distributor to make enough room to get the broken bolt out. It came out easy enough though. Cleaned everything up and replaced the intake with a modded intake and aluminum plenum plate.

Replaced the cap and rotor while i was back there. The old one was pretty scorched and corroded.

It all went back together with no major issues. Started right up and ran smoother than it has in quite a while. Took it for a short drive around town still no issues.

Finally got out on the highway and had some funky shifting. Adjusted TV cable. Problem solved. So, all in all seems to be running like a champ.

I would like to say thanks to everyone for your help and support and a special thank you to pacofortacos for the hook up with parts. You guys rock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts