DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What actually is happening when the minus button is punched on the gear selector knob in my Ram? My owners manual seems to indicate that any of the 1-4 numbered ranges can be selected while traveling at any speed.

On my previous Silverado, I'd always have to slow down before descending a long steep grade in order to choose a lower gear appropriate to both the downhill as well as the my current speed. It didn't like to be downshifted until my speed had dropped to match the chosen range's normal operating speeds.

Guess what I"m asking here is this,...is my Ram's computer(s) somehow automatically slowing my vehicle speed gradually and downshifting until it reaches the gear range I've chosen? Like maybe cutting fuel delivery?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Basicly if you traveling down a hill and put the shifter say into 2 on the dash the transmission WILL NOT go there if the speed is to great. It may drop to 4 or 3 but again not until it feels the speed matches the gear selected. The same is true when upshiffting. If you forget to upshift the transmission will do it anyway if the engine RPMs are to high for to long.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
You can enter ERS mode (by tapping the minus button) at any speed, but you'll be limited in how far you can tap it down (how many gears you can go down). It will not allow a manual downshift if it would overspeed the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts