DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my ram has developed a soft pop in the front end when the suspension cycles usually if I am returning the steering back to straight from a turn but not always. On occasion it will pop going straight, left, or right. it sounds like it is coming from just behind the firewall just left of the center of the truck but is very difficult to pinpoint. I have read on here that there is a bracket that is sometimes loose on the steering shaft inside the truck. I checked that and it is solid. After putting a leveling kit on 8 months ago I had everything in the front end torqued down. just a week or two ago I went through and retorqued everything again from the shocks to the tie rods and ball joints upper and lower control arms. everything was tight and I am at a loss. The tie rods do feel slightly more movable than normal and the truck has almost 80000 miles now so I am replacing both tie rods next weekend regardless. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of other things to check in the front end in the meantime?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ever had an alignment done? Might just be excessive play in the tie rods that an decent alignment job should fix.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not had an alignment done but I will after I do both tie rods. Would there be a need to do another alignment if I have to do both upper ball joints also? I am just asking incase the clunk is not resolved after doing the tie rods. The ball joints will be my next task as a safety measure

·
Registered
67 Posts
Technically, you are supposed to get an alignment after changing any component that is related to wheel positioning but most people do not. After changing tie rods you definitely will need an alignment but most people probably wouldn't bother just for ball joints.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a similar sound that has been happening in my truck for a while now. I couldn't pinpoint it myself. Low speed and uneven ground it was most noticeable. I had the dealership check it out when I went in for a recall and they said there was slop in the rack resulting in the noise.
Their solution: New rack. I think they quoted me around 2500+ to do the job. I opted to wait until it got worse since this this was diagnosed slightly after the truck was out of warranty. I am almost at 80K with little change. It is annoying, but I can live with it for now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got both tie rods changed and they were looser than I like but not sloppy and clunking around in the joint. I did find one of my lower shock mounts was a little loose so I put some locktite on it and check the other side which was fine. The pop is still there but much less frequent now. I looked over both ball joints while I was in there and they seem very good. I do fear that it is the steering rack because I have read that before. Is there a way I can check the rack myself?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I didn`t read all these posts, but I had the same noise in my 2014 express shortbed.
I could feel it in the seat in an off camber turn, and when cold outside almost any time there was body movement. I loosened the front drivers side seat mount (outside one closest to the door) and pulled it out towards the door, "it`s slotted'' , and tightened it down in that position. Haven`t heard the noise since !!??????????????

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Twas not the seat lol. I did find one bolt on the steering shaft that took about a turn to get tight but still have the pop. It doesnt seem to be causing issues just bugs the crap out of me. Pulled apart the front suspension again.. all still seems normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts