DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Noticed this morning on my way to work a popping noise when turning left( slow speed) and going over small bumps, sometimes it does it with no bumps. It is very intermittent and I can't replicate in the same spots/ speeds all the time. Took my wife for a drive and she noticed it too, sounds like it is in the front end, you can almost feel it I think. Anyone else experiencing something similar? 770 kms on it.

Also does anyone have a terrible centre console squeak when resting you arm (lightly) on it, mine is terrible. I crawled underneath and there was nothing obvious, I also retorqued the wheels, 4 box bolts seem tight and box isn't easily moved by lifting, cab mounts seem tight.

Will have to take it to the dealer but was hoping someone else is having this issue because I already know what the outcome from the dealer will be "couldn't replicate Sound, everything tight blah blah) and I'll have to jump up and down for a rental.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I dont have the popping sound like you do but when I rest my arm on my center console it also squeaks, I've found a way to make it stop for like 30 minutes but it comes back, curious to why it does that

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the way they connect the lid to the bottom piece of the console from what I can see, the passenger side of the lid is noticeably looser than that driver side, and the squeak is much more frequent when my wife is in the truck with her arm on the console.

I googled about the popping noise, found a post from a few years ago on some mid 4th gens that seemed to indicate that a steering stem to firewall aluminum mount plate had loose bolts and/ or the plate had warped causing the sound. Today was the first day I have noticed the sound, I'll see how it is tomorrow

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the console noise when I first got mine. From what I can tell I haven’t heard it in a while. I think the plastic got smashed down or changed from interior cab heat but I haven’t heard it for a long time. I was looking at I and think it need some barrier material between the top cover and the bottom of the top cover.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had the same popping noise on my 2014 Longhorn. Took it in several times under warranty but could never replicate it for the Service Rep. Lived with it until I traded it in. There was a series of posts about a year ago on the 2014 Ram Forum dealing with the steering wheel popping issue

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac
1,500 Posts
Were you the one spacer leveled? Either way make sure your strut nuts are tight(60 ft/lb +), factory specs aren’t enough on a puck lift. If the dealer installed, let them verify the OEM damper is torqued as well because they’ll have to pull the assembly.

Someone please send a video of the console hinge noise, I might know a guy that can help diagnose quickly.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think you will hear the console noise in a video, especially once the quality is destroyed from uploading it. I'm not sure what you are asking about the spacer? My tuck is stock.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it's going in tomorrow, as expected I had to jump up and down for a vehicle to drive in the mean time because mine and my wife's schedules don't work with the dealerships. My salesman had to talk to the owner of the dealership to get something lined up. Hopefully they can figure out what it is, it's progressively worse and more frequent this morning, only 50 kms since I noticed it.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Steering intermediate shaft seems to be a popular possibility.

Oddly enough my G37 has a similar issue....like something is loose but doesnt happen all the time and seems to be coming from the lower right corner of windshield (or upper right corner of right front fender).

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Sorry, thought you were one of the ones with mods already. Either way you can get a wrench on the strut nuts just to re-torque while on the ground.

Anytime I'm investigating an exterior noise, I continue to mount and remount my GoPro in the vicinity and review footage until it is confirmed. Troubleshooting has never been more affordable and DIY. Spraying lube on one joint at a time and testing used to be the old-school way of doing it.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Code:
[LIST]
[/LIST]
Sorry, thought you were one of the ones with mods already. Either way you can get a wrench on the strut nuts just to re-torque while on the ground.

Anytime I'm investigating an exterior noise, I continue to mount and remount my GoPro in the vicinity and review footage until it is confirmed. Troubleshooting has never been more affordable and DIY. Spraying lube on one joint at a time and testing used to be the old-school way of doing it.

Taking to the dealer tomorrow,
Hopefully they can find it, if not there are a few ideas from this thread

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Yeah I only assume you can turn a wrench because you've owned a Polaris :)

Have a fuji triple swapped Edge myself.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I only assume you can turn a wrench because you've owned a Polaris :)

Have a fuji triple swapped Edge myself.
Haha I own 4. The assault has 8000 miles, my wife's 800 rush has 9440 original miles and we have a 2017 Sportsman 850 sp with 29.5" tires and a 2018 highlifter 850

I am a licensed Heavy Equipment by trade but I don't work on autos, I work on large mobile underground mining equipment.

I have an interest in finding out what's wrong but at the same point I paid 70,000 for it plus 2300 for extended warranty so the dealer and ram are taking on everything that goes wrong with this thing. It only has 800 kms

·
Registered
57 Posts
On my previous Ram, the sway bar links were loose and made the exact same clunking noises.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Check the body mounts on the front end right behind the wheels. My 2015 wasn't properly torqued at the factory and it would do that. It drove me nuts until I found it on a forum. They were both barely finger tight. Torqued then to 80ft lbs and haven't heard a sound in 3 years.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had Westin nerf bars on my 2 door regular cab that rusted to $hit after 2 1/2 years. I didn't install them, bought truck used, so when I removed them I didnt know two of the bolts used for their install were factory frame to cab bolts; theyre 3 to 4 inches with about a 2 inch or more diameter washer. I purposely drove the truck immediately after the removal because I suspected those bolts might be factory and thus obviously kind of important. Lol I didnt get 20 feet before I made a 90 degree turn while reversing and heard what was the unmistakable sound of the cab lifting and clunking back down on the frame rails. Needless to say I put the bolts back and it stopped.
Anyway, is your truck four wheel drive? If so, check that it's not engaged or engaging itself. If the truck isnt on a slippery or loose surface while fwd is engaged the front diff will bind up and make a clunking noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a squeak in the Same area as the previous post. Sounded like it was coming from underneath the dash up by the windshield on the passenger side. I ended up pulling out the little Speaker On that side of the dash and stuffing foam underneath Everywhere I could . The squeak stopped .

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the truck went in, they tied up a loose connector on the LF frame rail which was a service bulletin. The truck is making the noise more and more every time I drive it. Going to finish up working on the quad and then pull it into the garage. They aren't going to like me if I have to take it back. 880 kms. Noise started at 750. It is definitely not in the dash but is a terrible popping noise coming from underneath the cab, I can feel it in my foot when it does it.

Had to get the owner of the dealership involved in order to get a rental for the day they had it. 70,000 dollar truck + 2300 for extended warranty.

·
Registered
166 Posts
So the truck went in, they tied up a loose connector on the LF frame rail which was a service bulletin. The truck is making the noise more and more every time I drive it. Going to finish up working on the quad and then pull it into the garage. They aren't going to like me if I have to take it back. 880 kms. Noise started at 750. It is definitely not in the dash but is a terrible popping noise coming from underneath the cab, I can feel it in my foot when it does it.

Had to get the owner of the dealership involved in order to get a rental for the day they had it. 70,000 dollar truck + 2300 for extended warranty.
Under torqued mounts I'm telling you! That's exactly how my 2015 was when I got it. Loud chunk and you can feel it in the floor. Have em torque where the cab connects to the body rails and I'll bet it stops.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts