DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an issue with my 02 durango sport 2wd 4.7...I recently replaced the upper and lower ball joints, sway bar links and tie rod ends along with the shocks. I then took it to sears to get an alignment and ever since then something has been popping when I turn at slow speeds specifically parking lots or driveways..it sounded like it was the right side at first but I also hear it on the left I think, I know I can feel it in through the pedal or floorboard. I grinded the knuckles so I did not replace the entire control arms and I think they have bushings as well but I cant tell if they are shifting. I read something about the steering column but I just dont know how to isolate and identify the problem. btw I never took it back to sears because they closed down before I could. I graciously thank anyone in advance who can help me with this problem

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did you damage the wheel bearing when you removed it to change your ball joints? I.E. pounding on the outer flange to get it out of the steering nuckle.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Did you damage the wheel bearing when you removed it to change your ball joints? I.E. pounding on the outer flange to get it out of the steering nuckle.
Pretty unlikely considering this is a 2WD and the bearing doesn't require removal for ball joint replacement. Start looking for the problem by going over every component you had loose and making sure they're all tight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the wheel bearings are fine, there is some power steering fluid i think leaking from the passenger side of the gear box right there where the rubber boot attaches to it and there are two small lines connecting to it as well. Think this could be related? The sound only occurs at very low speed and and when turning the wheels, like pulling in or out of a driveway...I pulled off the front wheels today and checked everything and it all seemed tight...I think it has something to do with the alignment..

·
Registered
198 Posts
I once installed a new ball joint so tight that it wouldn't allow grease to be installed with a grease gun. It would pop several times while making a low speed turn. I finally got it to take grease after some driving. :4-dontknow:

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
You may want to go to someplace that does alignments for a living
i notice that there is a place near you
it may be worth checking out

Fowler's Alignment And Brake Service, Inc.
911 12th St
Phenix City, AL 36867
http://www.fowlersalignment.com/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, I had Sears grease my ball joints but should the boot around the ball joint balloon afterwords? because mine do not. Also, I was thinking about this the other day, do you think it could be something on the steering shaft b/w the steering wheel and the gear box??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts