DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I out my 2011 2wd 1500 in reverse from park it makes a popping/thump noise. I've tried looking it up in the search but cant find anything that has the same description. The brakes are applied but you can see the drive shaft move a little. The video is from the tranny side and not the axle side. My wife's uncle put a stethoscope on the rear end and said it's from there but when I look at it on face time it looks and sounds like it starts from the tranny. I'm an over the road trucker and it just started the noise yesterday so I had my wife face time me so I could try to see but I'm stumped. I uploaded the video to YouTube here the link.

Watch "Wierd noise from transmission" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/YbbN37an878

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
My 2009 did the same thing
The dealership asked Dodge about it & they stated that the drive shaft needed replacement

I knew that there was nothing wrong with the driveshaft, if there was, it would have also done it when shifting into a forward gear
They changed the drive shaft anyway & it still clunked almost every time when shifting from Park to Reverse

I had an issue with the rear end & they rebuilt it, that didn't change anything either

I sold that Ram with 143,000 miles on it & it still clunked
I talk to the guy that bought it & he is still driving it that way

I bought that Ram in January 2009 with less than 20 miles on the odometer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well hell.. I figured it wasnt the drive shaft. My dodge has about 145k on it. Glad to know I can rule out the rear end. Thanks man

1 - 5 of 5 Posts