DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 ram 1500 regular cab long box that has about 230000 miles on it and I was wondering if it's possible to turbo the 4.7 that's in it. From the previous owner (first owner) the motor was never opened up and just had regular service.( Oil changes at 3500 miles, filters, spark plugs.) So the motor is sound, no ticks except for the exhaust on the driver's side leaks. I'm just wondering what it would take to put/make a turbo system on the truck and not mess with the tune or injectors .. thanks

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
An engine with that many miles on it isn’t the ideal candidate for a turbo or supercharger without a rebuild. With a turbo you’ll want to change the injectors and the tune.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm going to follow this. I have an almost identical truck to yours but an 03 with 450,000km (280,000 miles). The engine is going to need a rebuild soon anyway, so may as well build it right.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a 2005 ram 1500 regular cab long box that has about 230000 miles on it and I was wondering if it's possible to turbo the 4.7 that's in it. From the previous owner (first owner) the motor was never opened up and just had regular service.( Oil changes at 3500 miles, filters, spark plugs.) So the motor is sound, no ticks except for the exhaust on the driver's side leaks. I'm just wondering what it would take to put/make a turbo system on the truck and not mess with the tune or injectors .. thanks
Isn't even an option. Anything that alters fuel or air delivery that much absolutely needs tuning at a minimum and in your case injectors. It's exceptionally easy to install a remote exhaust in these trucks (kits exist for this very purpose) but you'll blow it up in short order without the other modifications as well. No engine can have boost added and not have it's parameters adjusted to compensate/take advantage of it (and survive for long).

I'm going to follow this. I have an almost identical truck to yours but an 03 with 450,000km (280,000 miles). The engine is going to need a rebuild soon anyway, so may as well build it right.
You'll need to see how tunable your truck is; 03 hemi PCM's are VERY limited on what can be done with custom tuning. The 4.7 PCM may not have this problem but should be investigated first to be sure.

Air Ram performance is your best friend when it comes to 4.7 stuff. They have an adapter manifold that allows you to bolt on the Eaton from an early 00's Cobra Mustang: AirRam - Cold Air Induction System
STS makes Ram remote turbo kits but they can easily be adapted to the 4.7: STS 0308RAM57ST-NT: $4,995.00 Plus $20.00 Instant Coupon, Free Shipping at Andy's

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ah can it be done? Yup Should you? Nope, not without a pocket full of money. That many miles and adding something to increase that much HP is asking for trouble. Just my opinion from 50+ years of messing with cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts