DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was watching this video the oether day on utube and it was explaining low tranny fluid and how to check if your tranny is going bad. well he said when you put it in drive or in any gear and it is delayed or takes awhile until it finally engages, then your fluid is low...well mine does that, only when its cold and i dont let it warm up. itll take about 3-5 seconds before it finally moves...inputs?

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
It could have a possible clogged tranny filter . I would service it and install a good quality synthetic tranny oil like Amsoil . That way when you have the pan down you can also see if theres any debris in the pan . When the outside temps drop , the tranny oil has a tendency to thicken up causing it harder to being pulled through the filter . Amsoil stays fluid like down to 60 below zero . Trust me it made a believer out of me years ago .

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, well I serviced it at 50k miles and there's only 53k now, I changed both filters and copied a members how to on here...you still think that could be a problem? I'll check tomorrow the fluid level although my driveway is angled a bit

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
Alright, well I serviced it at 50k miles and there's only 53k now, I changed both filters and copied a members how to on here...you still think that could be a problem? I'll check tomorrow the fluid level although my driveway is angled a bit
not to overlook the obvious, you could drive to a flat parking lot and check it there. an angle plus low fluid could be your problem.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Your fluid should be hot when you check it
our equipment shop would have us drive 20 miles before they would check it

after they said it was Full to the line when HOT, we would park it on level ground when we parked it for the night. The next morning before starting it up, we would check the fluid level & use a file to make a mark, so that we had a COLD level to go by

Reactions: BlackHemI

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm actually not sure if it did it before honestly i never payed attention until one day leaving work i noticed. Ill check it on flat ground as I have before and it was right.on the money where it should be

·
Registered
140 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about it if it just does it when its cold. When it's cold the fluid thickens and takes a little bit to start circulating. Your best way to warm it up is put it in Neutral for 30 seconds to let the fluid start circulating. I would certainly check your fluid level though.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
who did the fluid/filter change for you? there was a bad batch or wrong filter being supplied out there that didn't seal good thus would lose pressure causing slow response (tsb out there). one way to check if this happens to you, on a cold start, before putting in drive or reverse, put it in neutral for about 30 seconds to build up tranny pressure (neutral will engage the tranny pump), then put it in gear, it should not delay like you said....

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Yes, if your delay is only on a cold startup, then you likely have converter drainback, where some of the oil in the converter drains back into the trans sump while it's sitting. Since the converter is half full of air when you start up, you get little or no torque through into the trans (until the converter gets refilled), so it feels like your trans "oozes" into gear when you try to take off. If you let it idle for a few seconds in Park first, the converter will refill and all should be OK.

If this just started happening after your fluid and filter change, then you probably used an aftermarket spin-on (cooler return) filter. These filters have a diaphragm inside them which is supposed to prevent drainback, but in some aftermarket filters this diaphragm is not robust enough and you get this problem. Using a Mopar spin-on filter (05179267AC) should fix the problem.

By the way, this drainback / sluggish start is an annoyance, but it will not hurt your transmission. So if you just wanna live with it until your next fluid change, you can do that.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I changed my fluid and yes its the spin on filter. My fluid.level was tight at the hot dash yesterday when I checked after driving it. So fluid is in there.

Also like you guys said to put it in neutral, when I do that there's no problem and it engages right away. Only when I put in from P to D or R is when it happens.

Thank you all very much for the useful info! When I get on a computer ill give ya reps!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts