DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious.

I see many threads touting the benefits of certain brands of oil or of using synthetic oil. But I've yet to see any threads here saying that a certain type or brand or type of oil (excepting the wrong weight rating) has actually harmed an engine.

I know most everyone has their favorite motor oil, but isn't any oil good for an engine as long as it has the current API rating and weight recommended for the engine?

Please post your experiences of how a "bad" engine oil harmed your engine.

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
i have always used m1 since early eighties on all my new vehicle. i think all oil including dino have been so advanced in their formulas, that any one would be fine. i just stay away from fram filters.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Simple, follow the recommendations in the service or owners manual. The next question is why waste you money upgrading to synthetic oil.

My dealer is always sending me coupons for a $19.95 oil change, which I use. I change every 5k (my brain is wired for easy memory). Air is checked, vehicle inspection (they have found a couple of problems which I fixed), vehicle washed, and I don't have to haul the oild oil to a recycle center. Check with the dealers in your area and see who is offering oil change specials. Can't beat it for the price!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts