DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Potential Coolant/Overheating Problems - 2014 RAM 1500 3.6L Crew Cab - Help!

14K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Jon_novello 
#1 ·
I've had the truck for just over four years and its about to reach 81k miles. About a week ago my coolant temp gauge began to rise and fall between the halfway and 3/4 marks on the gauge, while my actual coolant temp fluctuates anywhere between 220-250 degrees on a hot 98 degree TX summer day. The coolant reservoir is just below the max level and seems to have plenty of coolant, so why is my coolant temp so high? No check engine lights have ever came on since I got the truck and this is the first real problem the truck has run into. Today I was also driving about 60-70 mph and the gauge nearly redlined before slowly dropping down in between 1/2 and 3/4 again. The temp never goes below 230 after getting warmed up, even when coasting at 30 mph, while the coolant temp seems to ALWAYS be much higher in comparison to the oil temp which stays around 215 once warmed up. Is this normal for these trucks? I know they are supposed to run hotter but 240/250 degrees for coolant seems alarming. I have not flushed or changed the coolant since I got the truck but there are no leaks or problems in the system to my knowledge at this point. Apologies in advance for all the questions, just a newbie here to this forum looking for some advice!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Gauge Tachometer

See less See more
#4 ·
I would take it in at this point. You don't want to let it overheat it can cause major damage such a system warped heads and blown head gasket she which could make a 200.00 problem a 3,000.00 problem. Could be a water pump,thermostat,low coolant or simply a radiator cap that's faulty. not able to diagnose it definitely take it in.

#8 ·
A couple of things can cause this behavior with an engine. Usually it is air in the coolant so there is little coolant hitting the temp sensor and then a lot of coolant. This can be the result of a failing water pump, a slipping belt, coolant changed and not "burped", faulty thermostat, or old radiator hoses that collapse on the intake side of the radiator and restrict the flow of coolant. Any independent garage with a real mechanics (and not some scope monkey) can fix whatever is no longer working properly. When I have coolant flushed after a water pump replacement I also have the radiator hoses replaced at the same time.

With a thermostat all that is needed to test it is a pot of water and a thermometer as when the temperature of the water reaches the specificied temperature the themostat should be completely open.

#10 ·
I think everyone above identified the possible causes. What was not said is that antifreeze breaks down over time. 4-5 years is the expected life of antifreeze. even if it was acting up, it is time to get it in and have (as a minimum) a full flush done, the antifreeze replaced, and the thermostat replaced. Good luck and let us know what happens.

#11 ·
I would also see if the louvers on the front of the radiator opens and closes when you first start up because if they remain close that wont help.
also check the clutch fan or the electric fan on the radiator as well as these trucks have both.my 2017 with 110,000 miles runs only 197-221temp

#13 ·
Yes, please post what the problem and solution actually was. I am going thru similar issues with my 2014 Ram 3.6. I have replaced the radiator (had a small leak), upper and lower radiator hoses, water pump, thermostat and coolant flush. This thursday, I will replace the fan, as the fan only runs on low and barely at that. I have only a 80 watt pwm fuse and the fan is pwm. I am at witts end on trying to figure this out, especially if the fan replacement doesn't solve it. Yes, I have burped it. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.