DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Potential Overheating/Coolant Problems - 2014 RAM 1500 3.6L Crew Cab

QUESTION! 
2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ramcares 
#1 ·
I've had the truck for just over four years and its about to reach 81k miles. About a week ago my coolant temp gauge began to rise and fall between the halfway and 3/4 marks on the gauge, while my actual coolant temp fluctuates anywhere between 220-250 degrees on a hot 98 degree TX summer day. The coolant reservoir is just below the max level and seems to have plenty of coolant, so why is my coolant temp so high? No check engine lights have ever came on since I got the truck and this is the first real problem the truck has run into. Today I was also driving about 60-70 mph and the gauge nearly redlined before slowly dropping down in between 1/2 and 3/4 again. The temp never goes below 230 after getting warmed up, even when coasting at 30 mph, while the coolant temp seems to ALWAYS be much higher in comparison to the oil temp which stays around 215 once warmed up. Is this normal for these trucks? I know they are supposed to run hotter but 240/250 degrees for coolant seems alarming. I have not flushed or changed the coolant since I got the truck but there are no leaks or problems in the system to my knowledge at this point. Apologies in advance for all the questions, just a newbie here to this forum looking for some advice!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Gauge Tachometer

See less See more
#2 ·
I've had the truck for just over four years and its about to reach 81k miles. About a week ago my coolant temp gauge began to rise and fall between the halfway and 3/4 marks on the gauge, while my actual coolant temp fluctuates anywhere between 220-250 degrees on a hot 98 degree TX summer day. The coolant reservoir is just below the max level and seems to have plenty of coolant, so why is my coolant temp so high? No check engine lights have ever came on since I got the truck and this is the first real problem the truck has run into. Today I was also driving about 60-70 mph and the gauge nearly redlined before slowly dropping down in between 1/2 and 3/4 again. The temp never goes below 230 after getting warmed up, even when coasting at 30 mph, while the coolant temp seems to ALWAYS be much higher in comparison to the oil temp which stays around 215 once warmed up. Is this normal for these trucks? I know they are supposed to run hotter but 240/250 degrees for coolant seems alarming. I have not flushed or changed the coolant since I got the truck but there are no leaks or problems in the system to my knowledge at this point. Apologies in advance for all the questions, just a newbie here to this forum looking for some advice!
Hi @ram_1500_slicksilver - Just had a chance to respond to your post on another thread, we are just a private message away if you work with your dealer and need additional support for that process!

Mark
RamCares

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.