DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help troubleshooting my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 PDM. This PDM is no longer being manufactured so I got a used one to replace the original at the request of a technician. The same problem resurfaced twice after several months with the used PDM from a junk yard.
I check all relays for operation (clicks) as well using an ohm meter to check continuity--all good. All fuses are good too.

The technician claims, the code when he was troubleshooting was there was "lack of ground" to PDM. All other functions when the truck is running works, AC, power window, lights, fog lights. the only thing I noticed was my trailer tail lights (#14 wire to the trailer harness connector) does not have power.

Technician claims the starter and solenoid is good also--jumping directly to starter 12 volts supply to indicate cranking via the solenoid.

Can anyone give me some advice before buying another used PDM??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
If it is lacking ground check for a bad ground to the PDM. I don't know exactly how the wiring is on that specific truck, but it's possible for a "dirty ground" and I don't mean corrosion. The PDM might be sharing the same ground point as a high current drawing device such as a window motor or aftermarket electronic. So trace back the ground from the PDM and do a voltage drop test on the ground as well. If the PDM was bad something would have to cause it. Check to see what devices attached to the PDM share it's ground as well. The PDM might be supply ground to other devices or modules.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help! I did some checking around the starter--hit it several times with a wrench--tried to start the truck and it worked! Removed the starter, had it tested at the parts store and sure enough it was showing an intermittent stalling and lack of crank. Pick up a remanufactured one with a core exchange and back on the road.
It was not the PDM in the first place but a failing starter--although--it was difficult to determine since symptoms could not be duplicated.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Thanks for the help! I did some checking around the starter--hit it several times with a wrench--tried to start the truck and it worked! Removed the starter, had it tested at the parts store and sure enough it was showing an intermittent stalling and lack of crank. Pick up a remanufactured one with a core exchange and back on the road.
It was not the PDM in the first place but a failing starter--although--it was difficult to determine since symptoms could not be duplicated.
I'm glad you were able to fix it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts