DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has anyone had any power steering issues with their new Ram? I have a brand new (2 months old) RAM 1500 DT Limited - which I loved until it’s first road trip from Perth to Darwin. At 7000km and 90kmph I lost my steering, complete failure of power steering. RAM Roadside suggested a tow truck to the nearest dealer and a week later without a truck but stranded 250km outside of Darwin with a caravan I can’t move, nobody getting it sorted. Dealer can’t get any support from Ram Australia and nobody has any ideas where a part to fix it is, or how long it will take and what support I’m entitled to, and it all is starting to feel somewhat disappointing for a $160k plus new vehicle. Any help or suggestions?

(oh and there was a list of other niggling issues from new Ram still haven’t sorted)

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
992 Posts
Wow, no. My 2019 DT never had a problem with steering. But these new body styles are using a different power steering module compared to the DS models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, no. My 2019 DT never had a problem with steering. But these new body styles are using a different power steering module compared to the DS models.
Yeah that’s what I heard also, but I also hear lots of good reports about the DT in general, hence I took the leap from a LC200 and until this issue I was pleased overall, the small other items requiring attention I could live with as just being part of what to expect with anything new at the beginning, wasn’t so urgent to disrupt my trip. I think what’s really got me though is the poor customer service as opposed to the actual power steering fault, although that’s still worrying as I’m wondering what’s coming next. The dealer diagnosed the fault within hours of it coming off the tow truck but as the truck is under warranty they won’t proceed with the repair without authorisation and they say they can’t even order the part….(which they don’t even know where it’s located) and that’s keeping me and the family stranded all this time. No matter who I call, they all fob me off and say speak with the dealer as they are handling it now. I’m keeping an audit trail of everything and already it’s looking like a pass the blame novel in the making. All Ram really needs to do is speed up, stop the red tape in these breakdown emergencies and get me and the family back on the road - or at least arrange a replacement tow vehicle so I can move the caravan.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Search for ‘ramcares’ on this site and send them a message. They may be able to get a case manager assigned or at least coordinate with their counterpart in Australia to assist.

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
992 Posts
Yeah that’s what I heard also, but I also hear lots of good reports about the DT in general, hence I took the leap from a LC200 and until this issue I was pleased overall, the small other items requiring attention I could live with as just being part of what to expect with anything new at the beginning, wasn’t so urgent to disrupt my trip. I think what’s really got me though is the poor customer service as opposed to the actual power steering fault, although that’s still worrying as I’m wondering what’s coming next. The dealer diagnosed the fault within hours of it coming off the tow truck but as the truck is under warranty they won’t proceed with the repair without authorisation and they say they can’t even order the part….(which they don’t even know where it’s located) and that’s keeping me and the family stranded all this time. No matter who I call, they all fob me off and say speak with the dealer as they are handling it now. I’m keeping an audit trail of everything and already it’s looking like a pass the blame novel in the making. All Ram really needs to do is speed up, stop the red tape in these breakdown emergencies and get me and the family back on the road - or at least arrange a replacement tow vehicle so I can move the caravan.
Very good point. I did like the steering on my 2019 DT overall for sure.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Thanks for that. I have copied them @ramcares into messages as I can’t seem to find another way of reaching them. Fingers crossed.
Hi,

We'd love to hear from you. We do apologize for the frustrations that you're experiencing. Please click on our user name to the left to send us a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

·
Registered
136 Posts
I purchased a new 2016 Rebel and the steering sucked. The truck would wander side to side constantly and no way would it go straight down the road without constant wheel input.
Then then I would step hard on the throttle the truck would instantly pull into the left lane, and pull hard right into the right lane when I let off the throttle.
I took it to three dealers two times over a 4 month period and they kept saying nothing is wrong with it, and they could not replicate the problem.
When I took the service guy for a ride and showed him the problem, and he said these trucks are not designed to be drive at full power even when passing another auto. I ended up giving to back to them and purchased another sport.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I purchased a new 2016 Rebel and the steering sucked. The truck would wander side to side constantly and no way would it go straight down the road without constant wheel input.
Then then I would step hard on the throttle the truck would instantly pull into the left lane, and pull hard right into the right lane when I let off the throttle.
I took it to three dealers two times over a 4 month period and they kept saying nothing is wrong with it, and they could not replicate the problem.
When I took the service guy for a ride and showed him the problem, and he said these trucks are not designed to be drive at full power even when passing another auto. I ended up giving to back to them and purchased another sport.
I'd be willing to bet it was the tires. "Not designed to be driven at full power"? That doesn't even make sense lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts