DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I hope this is the right place to ask this question....

My D/S power window keeps freezing and hence wont go down. The motor seems be working fine. A couple of times I tried to "roll" down the window and the window came of the track. I put it back on and the window worked fine until the next freeze. So now the question....

Is it something that is wrong with the door / rubber? Is it just plain ol water that freezes? Is there anything that you can suggest I put on / spray on / soak on (whatever) to avoid this from happening again?

(or are these just wonders of living Canada?)

If this is not the right place or a link is out there, can you please redirect!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Right there with you man, in a drive through two nights ago, so embarassing opening the door to order and get the food. Killin me thinkin people behind me might think I had this nice lookin truck with a broken window. I'm curious too, I've never looked into any deicer or anything. Anyone used anything good?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had the same problem today after washing my truck while the temp was -25C. I fixed it by carefully making a fist and banging around the edge of the window inside and out. After making 2 or 3 rounds around the outside the window rolled down with no problem

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Luckily i have not been living where this is an issue
I just did a online search for answers

i checked many other forums

from **************
chrysler recommends this method:

Tech Tip Part Description: Window Belt Molding

Tech Tip Description: LC door glass freezes to outer belt molding when vehicle subjected to rain then freezing temperatures with belt molding still saturated with water. This freezing impedes the drop glass function which is required for the glass to clear the upper door seal during door open and closure.
Application of AQUAPEL glass treatment to the outer door glass surface allows initial breakaway of the glass to belt molding when door subjected to issue conditions described above. AQUAPEL is a polymeric Siloxane. It will not have any detrimental effect on already painted surfaces, or the belts. It is possible, that the outer belt may become discolored from exposure to sunlight as any spilled polysiloxane material degrades away under UV exposure. All surfaces that are not intended to receive coating but could be exposed to the AQUAPEL SHOULD BE PROTECTED prior to starting the application process. Remove the outer belt molding with caution. It can be easily damaged during removal and should be replaced in the event. The glass must be cleaned prior to application. The cleaning is not with window cleaner, it should be done with Bon Ami or some other diatomateous earth cleaner without abrasives. After cleaning, the glass should be flushed with clean water. Once dry, apply AQUAPEL per product instructions. It is necessary that the glass be "cured" in 50% relative humidity and 70 F conditions for a minimum of 8 hrs prior to being exposed to water or ice in order that the coating has durability. Exposure prior to this cure time will result in quick degradation of the material, haziness on the glass surface in light water conditions, and very short durability (< 30 days). Note: AQUAPEL usage is only a temporary solution as a countermeasure against glass freeze-up. A permanant solution involving part change is estimated to be implemented and available for Service early March 2010. AQUAPEL can be obtained at Retailers in your area by searching here: Aquapel™ Zip Code Lookup Tool

other ideas

Gummi Phlege. Yeah, stupid name right? Comes in a 75ml bottle with a 1" foam applicator end. Trim the end to about a 1/4" strip which will conveniently fit in the gap at the belt line weather strip/side glass and also still be capable of applying a 1" strip of solution to the base of the side glass as well as treat the interior weather seals. Also keep an old credit card in your wallet just in case. If the window has light ice build up, work the card in between the glass and belt molding at the rear of the side glass and then slide it forward BEFORE trying to open the door! For heavy ice you will have to resort to the ice scraper or warm water method.
Try Bavarian Motorsports for the Gummi Phlege. I have also had good luck with silicone spray and a Scotts shop towel..

Door Ease

windshield washer fluid good to -30F (Mr Clean branded), Put it in a spray bottle, and spray the window top and bottom

Rain EX window frost remover

cooking oil on the window rubber, or WD-40, it would be wise to carry blue paper shop towel to clean the windows glass of oil film

http://www.ehow.com/how_7424007_stop-car-window-sticking-winter.html

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for the comments so far. Always nice to know that your not the only one who has that problem.

RAM Trucks, RAM owners and (of course) the "Z" rule!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
tons and tons and tons of people have this problem, I worked at a timmies quite a while ago and on nasty cold days i bet 1/3 of the vehicles that went though drive thru had to open their doors. my windows freeze up when it gets colder than -15 or so Cecius, I never did think about putting washer fluid on the rubber piece

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
thank you for the comments so far. Always nice to know that your not the only one who has that problem.

RAM Trucks, RAM owners and (of course) the "Z" rule!
cant agree more :beerchug:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts