DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a remanufactured engine and it recommends pre-lubing of the engine before the first start up , I know how to do it if we had a distributor BUT with the 5.7 I am at a loss , Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my first time doing anything with a 2003 Ram 1500 pickup with a hemi . Thanks again in advance .

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yea me too, but with no rod for an oil pump..... So I'm not 100% sure where or how the oil pump on this motor works. But if its like most now, the oil pump is on front of motor and driven off the crank. My recommendation is contact the builder and get their recommendation on how to go about it. Only way I could imagine is pull spark plugs so rolls over easy, fill oil filter with oil when you put it on and just turn it over in like 5-10 second bursts to pick up oil.

·
Registered
198 Posts
if you floor the pedal while you are cranking the engine over, it won't start. This will allow the starter to engage the engine and get oil pressure up. You should be able to view it on the evic. The pedal thing is a safey design. won't let the truck start full throttle. I don't know about partial throttle. just full.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea me too, but with no rod for an oil pump..... So I'm not 100% sure where or how the oil pump on this motor works. But if its like most now, the oil pump is on front of motor and driven off the crank. My recommendation is contact the builder and get their recommendation on how to go about it. Only way I could imagine is pull spark plugs so rolls over easy, fill oil filter with oil when you put it on and just turn it over in like 5-10 second bursts to pick up oil.
I used a socket on the harmonic balancer and just wrenched it until oil come out on the lifters . My neighbor told me about doing it but to make sure the spark plugs are out so it is easier lol .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts