DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it doesnt specify an octane for running the fuel mileage tune anybody have any input?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
it doesnt specify an octane for running the fuel mileage tune anybody have any input?
Start out at mid grade if you still get ping then bump up to the next grade. What I usually recommend to people who have vehicles that say to use premium grade is to buy a full tank of regular and add a bottle of octane booster.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I'm almost positive the eco tune is tuned for 87 octane. You actually get less power than stock tune but it is tuned for 87 (instead of the recommended 89). Have someone else confirm that though.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Start out at mid grade if you still get ping then bump up to the next grade. What I usually recommend to people who have vehicles that say to use premium grade is to buy a full tank of regular and add a bottle of octane booster.
Putting 87 octane (reg) and adding a bottle of octane booster is probably not good advice for a couple reasons.
1) adding a bottle of octane booster will only increase the octane a few points depending on the amount of fuel in the tank. So 20 gallons of reg (87) plus a bottle of octane booster will only equal about 87.5 octane, still a far cry from the premium 91 required.
2) Its a waste of money. Filling up with 20 gallons of premium will cost about $5 more per tank. Buying a bottle of decent octane booster will run about $12 +/- and you will still wont be close to the required 91 (prem) octane.

I'm almost positive the eco tune is tuned for 87 octane. You actually get less power than stock tune but it is tuned for 87 (instead of the recommended 89). Have someone else confirm that though.
I think that you are correct :smileup:. It doesnt make sense to have an "economy" tune that requires premium, kinda counter productive. If I recall correctly it is tuned for 87 octane like you stated.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when i got my predator that was the first tune i used. midgrade was in the tank and the truck way outperformed the stock tune. i have the 91 tune now but i dont wanna keep using premium though this tune gets better mileage than the mpg 1. i guess i'll check diablo's site. dont wanna go the see if it pings route lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts