DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
24 valves do not have a fuel shut off solenoid 12 valve's do. I would think it is your lift pump you will need to check the fuel pressure to be sure. you need to replace it with a 95 or 100 GPH Fass or Airdog or Rapter lift pump they are a lot more reliable than the OEM I have had my Fass lift pump since 2007 with no issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Where is the best place to find the Fass lift pump? Does it fit in the fuel tank or onto the side of the engine?
Your Welcome!
I will sent you a PM I don't think there a vender here. They have Block mounted it will mount where the original pump is or they sell a relocation kit to mount it on the frame rail. When I bought mine the only one you could get was a frame rail mounted pump so thats what I have either way they are easy to install & will come with all the instructions you will need.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks like I can't send PM's so Extreme Diesel Performance is where I would get the Lift pump they have the Fass replacement pump & the Pureflow Rapter replacement pump either would be fine.

·
Registered
240 Posts
24 valves do not have a fuel shut off solenoid 12 valve's do. I would think it is your lift pump you will need to check the fuel pressure to be sure.
The 24-valve ISB engine will start & run even without a lift pump -- you definitely should not run it that way, but engine not starting can mean crankshaft position sensor failure (Code 1690 or 336 indicates a CPS signal issue) or VP44 injector pump failure & you may or may not get a code(s) indicating that. I've experienced both problems on my '98.5 truck.

The VP44 (1998.5 thru 2001 models) failure is most often in the computer portion & the only way to resolve the issue is to get a Frieghtliner upgrade pump with the "heavy duty" computer to handle heat & vibration the stock pump can't take -- sooner or later the soldered connections fail. I recently got the upgraded VP44 with a NEW Frieghtliner computer, after 3 stock pump failures, the original just out of warranty (dealer covered it anyway) & 2 rebuilt stock pumps, the 2nd of which didn't last 7 months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.