DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While replacing the thermostat for the first time i realized i needed to remove the alternator and began to disconnect the supply wire and it sparked (forgot to disconnect the ground, stupid i know). Needless to say the GEN light came on after i put everything together.

Fast forward i replaced the alternator twice, thinking i got bad refurbished parts. Well its still not charging. Its all connected correctly, the wiring seems fine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

97 rsm 1500 5.2l v8

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm afraid you have cooked the ECM by grounding it. At Least the charging system side. So first check in the engine compartment in fuse box there should be a large fuse like 120a job. Then go thru checking the charge put out of alternator.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I tried to look in MotoLogic for the part but cant find what I'm looking for. But in about 05 or so they started including a circuit board to the battery junction box under hood that has a lot to do with charging system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replaced the 120 fuse and one of the damn bolts broke of at the top, fastened it down as good as i could, but now it wont turn over. And when it does, it ms for like 1 second. Like wtf. It was just fine staying on when jumped before i changed it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'd wager the added circuit board is for sensing battery types and adjusting charging pattern accordingly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts