DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the kit on my 13 ram , followed instructions to the letter . Tailgate seems to bind when closing . Sent them an email ---no response . Called the 800 number told the young lady my trouble and she said some 13's were having a problem .I asked if the kit number 43300 was the correct model it was . They now had an updated kit that would solve my problem it is kit number ( I lost the paper with the update but I am sure she said it was 43200 ). Well kit 43200 came ups today . Here in about 3 days . My big question is the new parts are in a package with # 43200 and it says its for a ford f150 2004 - 2011 .

Is this correct ?? any one elsse have the binding problem . tried doing a search here to no avail . Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yup, absolutely...the top ball socket hits the side of the tailgate a little bit causing some resistance when opening and closing. Just watch when you close it, you'll see right away where it makes contact.
Only solution would be for DeeZee to redesign it with a little bit thinner socket for a bit more clearance.
Other than that, I think you have to just live with it until they redesign that part.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have a 2013 Ram and a DeeZee #43300 tailgate assist installed. Mine is showing a small rubbing spot on the top mounting ball of the strut. Just a light polished spot. The ball is rubbing the limit cable metal attachment. The fix would be to grind down the metal attachment on the cable. I don't think the ball could be made smaller or relocated.

I am just happy it doesn't rub the paint and it still works great.

Greg

·
Registered
84 Posts
mine rubs the paint, i filed it down a bit on the ball, but i still have a wear mark on my tailgate. love the product, just annoyed that i have to touch up my tail gate from time to time so it does not rust away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Dee Zee sent me the Ford kit. Amazing service btw, no questions asked, 2 day shipping to Canada for free. Ford kit doesn't look as good imo but it doesn't rub any more so I am happy. Just replace the top ball joint with the new shock and you are done.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was told to use my original shock . Now with the ford kit do I drill out the original rivnut and install the ford plate using the new rivnut ?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think I've got the Ford kit as well; but, there were some other rubbing issues with the Ram kit that supposedly are mitigated by using the Ford kit on the 2013 Rams.
I'll have to check to see if I still have the packaging to check the model number...pretty sure I got #43200 though.

ETA: I took a close look at it and am not seeing any rubbing at all.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
That kinda sucks, I have had mine for over a year on my 2012 and love it.
This is my experience too.

One of my best bang-4-buck mods.... ever!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was told to use my original shock . Now with the ford kit do I drill out the original rivnut and install the ford plate using the new rivnut ?
I had rubbing issues with the 43300 kit, and DeeZee sent me the hardware pack from the Ford kit (model DZ43200). Essentially, the only thing I was supposed to use was the drop plate from the Ford kit. When I used the Ford drop plate with the shock from the Dodge kit, the tailgate would open quickly, until it was about half open, and then it would lower slowly, until fully open. I called DeeZee about the result, and they sent me the entire Ford kit, so I could use the shorter shock. To complete the install, you should use the Ford drop plate and the shock from the Ford kit; you do not have to replace the original rivnut, you should leave the black plastic cable clip (from the Dodge kit) in place, and you should leave the cable limiter off. With the Ford drop plate and shock installed, everything works great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Installed the kit on my 13 ram , followed instructions to the letter . Tailgate seems to bind when closing . Sent them an email ---no response . Called the 800 number told the young lady my trouble and she said some 13's were having a problem .I asked if the kit number 43300 was the correct model it was . They now had an updated kit that would solve my problem it is kit number ( I lost the paper with the update but I am sure she said it was 43200 ). Well kit 43200 came ups today . Here in about 3 days . My big question is the new parts are in a package with # 43200 and it says its for a ford f150 2004 - 2011 .

Is this correct ?? any one elsse have the binding problem . tried doing a search here to no avail . Any help is appreciated.
I had same exact problem on my '13 RAM. The washer they give you on the truck side of the connection for under the latch post is too thick. Changed it to one half the thickness or so and all has been well. The ball of the piston was being pushed into the tailgate and rubbing/binding. The change in clearance with a thinner washer gave it just enough clearance. There are a number of posts on Amazon about the issue and the fix.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have had mine installed for about a month and have had ZERO problems with it. I followed the install instructions to a T even the measurements for the cable doo-hicky (which if not in the right place will allow for binding) it's purpose is to push the cable back in as the gate closes giving that clearance. Sorry I cant help more than that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Found all the old hardware from the original kit . Installed the Ford / spacer bracket hooked it all up . Drops quickly for the 1st 1/3 or so of travel and then slows up nicely . Just enough clearance for everything .

1 - 20 of 56 Posts