DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really thinking about procharger for my hemi...Does anyone have one...How hard is it to tune one of those...Also do u guys reccomend sts turbo over procharger and why..I had bad experience with tuning turbo kit before on my honda..Anyways just wanted to know who's got one and how do you like it....I really want to learn more about it before I throw $5500 on it..

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant really find any videos or info on 04 dodge ram hemi with procharger...Are they really that rare on our trucks???

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whats better paxton or procharger????They are about the same price

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
again I dont see anything on those websites for 2004 dodge ram hemi....I heard Paxton and Procharger are way to go...What will I need to do with my engine to put one of those on...Also how hard are they to tune, I know both of them come with diablo pretune..But do I need to dyno tune it also???I know I should but its so hard to find someone to do it around here, seems like nobody knows much about hemi motor's let alone a supercharged one....

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So its either supercharger or heads and cam from interia motorsports...Which would be my cheaper alternative, And looking at some of the people around here with heads and cams they be doing mid 13's that is about the same as supercharger would do I would assume...I am running 14.9 right now...Also how hard would be to tune heads and cams from interia....Not a major cam maybe crazy jay...But I am leaning more toward a supercharger...Let me know guys

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I'm going to get get the Procharger for my 4th gen as soon as they come out.
ATI is a great company and they make great superchargers. Yes it comes with a tune but manufacturer supplied tunes are typically "very safe" to prevent people from blowing up their motors. Also, they don't take your other mods into account. You can definitely run their tune but you'll be leaving some good hp on the table. I will be and highly recommend you get it dyno tuned afterwards. Seems the consensus is to stay between 6-8 psi of boost but I might temp fate and see how long I can run 10 psi.
keep in mind that the procharger is a centrifugal blower. so it builds boost with rpm which means you won't make the advertised psi until into the upper rpms. that's why I'm thinking of running a couple extra psi. the magnuson (a positve displacement blower) makes its boost almost instantly.

I think you'll have more fun with the supercharger vs the heads and cam. You'll make more torque which will be better for the street. Your gears would go well with big heads and a big cam but it'll be more "peaky" vs the lower end torque you'll get from the supercharger.

turbos are great poweradders also but like you mentioned they can be hard to tune unless you know a really good tuner. a lot of it also comes down to the kit and pairing up the right turbo (size and a/r) with your motor.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx gabrieldy very good info I am going to check out magnuson also...

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have been running a procharger HU on my Corvette for 4 years now.. It was making 657 rwhp with 8psi. I have since built a 383 stroker and am going with a D1 procharger and will have around 12-14psi and should make north of 800 RWHP. Granted, it is on an LSx engine and not a hemi, but the concepts of supercharging are all the same.

You also need to think about other things.
Injectors
Fuel supply
Boost-a Pump, or larger fuel pump
Intercooling
Tuning..<-- this is KEY

You can run 3psi and if your tune is not spot on, you can blow an engine. Your timing, A/F, spark tables, knock sensors, O2's have to all be tuned and spot on. The procharger kits are proven and have been out for years.

Check this kit out and call these guys to discuss.

http://www.shophemi.com/p-1137-ho-intercooled-system-for-57l-dodge-ram-pickup-by-procharger.aspx

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
exactly what getbit said...do not try to find a "budget" tuner. Not saying that you were, but after all the time and money invested in your motor/truck take it to a good reputable tuner for the peace of mind that when you are screaming at 6000 rpm she's runnin good.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found the guy here locally that can dyno tune it for 300...I already have diablo..But I am pretty sure the prochargers already come with their own diablo tuner with canned tune...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Found the guy here locally that can dyno tune it for 300...I already have diablo..But I am pretty sure the prochargers already come with their own diablo tuner with canned tune...
email diablosport....tell them you already own a predator....see if they have a file for you for a supercharged vehicle with your mods.......and see if they can send it to you. [email protected] this will get you going until you can get a custom tune.

FYI diablosport used to do the programs for procharger and a few other companies with global kits.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanx gabrieldy very good info I am going to check out magnuson also...
i am installing the magna charger from magnus on my 07 ram. it is designed for the 09 + rams. it will fit us 03-08 but we need to convert the front of the motor 09 all new kit for the accesories and new alt and wtr pump.

here is the furom that i have on installing it, i am not finished due to this
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=72909

1 - 15 of 15 Posts