DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have been learning alot from this site but there is one thing i still haven't found anything on.... is there any benefit to getting a programmer with a manual transmission? i have been reeading alot on how it makes the shifts in an automatic better but haven't heard anything about a manual transmission.....

i am currently deployed in afghanistan and would like to know before i get home so i can have it waiting for me when i get back :naughty:

current mods:
daystar leveling kit, 285/?/17 nitto terra-grapplers, flowmaster super 44 muffler, k&n cai, tbs(will be taken off when i get home), and i have some american outlaw wheels waiting for me (might need wheel spacers to get them to fit)

·
Registered
217 Posts
The only thing I would think it would help with is... gearing / Tires size and fuel mapping and timing to optimize power/efficiency depending on the tune you're going with. well that is all i can think of off the top of my head...

*side note - where at in afghan are you?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Idk if u will see a difference or not since when a manual you can shift when you want.. When I had a manual I never looked at programmers for them. so right now it might be the blind leading the blind. lol

Im @ kaf

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i've been going back and forth with the programmer since about the only thing people talk about is how it makes the shifts better... thanks for the info.
i tried pming you but i guess i dont have enough posts to talk to anyone :smiledown: but im at kaf too

·
Registered
217 Posts
I sent you a PM, idk if u will get it or not

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
You will not get any of the benefits of transmission tuning(since you don't have an automatic transmission). You will still get the hp and torque increases, all the settings you can adjust are still there like efan run temps, gearing/tire diameter adjustments, reading and clearing trouble codes, data logging, and I would think torque management control(assuming manual truck have TM).

It is still well worth it, primarily on the 2008+ 4.7L. On 93 octane you will gain ~70hp and ~70lb ft max and ~20hp and ~35lb ft peak. Most of the gain is in low to mid rpms, where you will notice it in everyday driving. I've also run a diablo with custom tune and the SC tune was better. And even if you just run the 87 tune there are significant gains.

Normally to gain 70hp you'd have to do serious work like long tubes, cam, head work, etc. now you can do it in 15 minutes for ~$300.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will not get any of the benefits of transmission tuning(since you don't have an automatic transmission). You will still get the hp and torque increases, all the settings you can adjust are still there like efan run temps, gearing/tire diameter adjustments, reading and clearing trouble codes, data logging, and I would think torque management control(assuming manual truck have TM).

It is still well worth it, primarily on the 2008+ 4.7L. On 93 octane you will gain ~70hp and ~70lb ft max and ~20hp and ~35lb ft peak. Most of the gain is in low to mid rpms, where you will notice it in everyday driving. I've also run a diablo with custom tune and the SC tune was better. And even if you just run the 87 tune there are significant gains.

Normally to gain 70hp you'd have to do serious work like long tubes, cam, head work, etc. now you can do it in 15 minutes for ~$300.

thank you for all that info i didnt know the SC had all those options i was thinking about getting the DS trinity but it looks like the SC is better for half the price

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
The SC canned tunes will give you more power than the diablo canned tunes for sure. I had a custom tune done with the diablo and it was roughly the same performance as the SC, however I got better mpg with the SC so stuck with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ive never once gotten a definitve review on this one, so I took the bull by the horns and ordered an InTune last night. I agree can tune vs can tune, the 3865 is probably the better choice, but I'm not going to stress about +- 3 hp. I went w/ diablo because I think they offer more versatility (vehicle to vehicle), plus I dont need to mess w/ the transmission at all. I'll let you guys know the results.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I agree can tune vs can tune, the 3865 is probably the better choice, but I'm not going to stress about +- 3 hp
Just curious where you got this number. For whatever reason, I believe on the 08+ 4.7L the diablo lacks a lot in the tuning(performance wise, as in hp gains). Most applications it's not far off(just a few hp maybe, like you said), but I have tried both on my 4.7L and even with a custom diablo tune, the superchips performed better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't quote me on the numbers, you'll have to hunt for the graphs for the can tunes. I think peak hp gain for the sc is around 26, while the diablo was under 23. I didn't think that a custom tune would be possible w/ the sc, so I went w/ the diablo.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
That sounds right for the SC. I had never been able to find numbers posted for the diablo that's why I asked. The diablo canned tune felt less powerful to me. And the custom diablo tune felt roughly the same as the SC canned tune. That's why I went back to the SC.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Yeah both are way better than stock, and both well worth the money. I just felt like SC out performed.

Are you sure the numbers posted on diablo's site are peak gains? SC posts max gains. The max gain on SC's site is more like 70hp and 70lb ft. I'm pretty sure the diablo numbers are max gains as well, although it doesn't clarify.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's probably measured at the flywheel though. That spec sheet was all I could find for the InTune, their dyno charts are hard to find.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
They measure at the wheel. But either way, it's the same gain at the flywheel as it is at the wheels.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, I didnt forget about this thread, just got off to a bad start. My box showed up around the 4th, then promptly got sent back w/ an RMA # due to damaged pins in the connector (these things are built like crappy cell phones). It was my fault, as I explained my situation to the distributor, and a month later I had a repaired tuner, no charge to me. I hear that its not an uncommon problem. Anyhow, after jumping through all the hoops to get it to work (connecting, loading the latest updates, registration, etc), its ready to go. I must say, I'm impressed. My engine is totally stock, now it pulls much harder. Will never go back to stock. Ive always been impressed w/ the top end of this engine, but felt bottom end was lacking, this changes that. The butt dyno #'s dont lie. I'm only on the mpg booster tune (never tried the power ones) and really havent put that many miles on her to tell what the mpg gains actually are. The overhead is running about .7 higher than it usually does. If your still on the fenceabout a tuner thus far, get off and get one. Between the SC and the Diablo, I dont think you can go wrong.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts