DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, thinking about a programmer for the hemi. only thing holding me back is im wondering if the dealer can find out if i have a programmer on it. a lot of newer vehicles are black boxing the trucks that stores the info so you cant get away with it. has anyone had one on the truck yet and taken in to the dealer?? did you get cought? dont wanna lose my lifetime warrenty. also what programmers are you all using? Can you feel the gain? wanna know if its worth the 400 bucks. thanks!!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I could be wrong here (and I'm sure someone will point it out if I am), but so long as you're able to return the tune to stock BEFORE you take it in to the dealer, then you should be OK.

I think most of the programmers out there do not leave a trace when they're returned to the stock tune, and the black boxes (in theory) don't keep track of that sort of thing. The black boxes are s'posed to be accessed only during certain situations and then only under certain conditions, and they keep track of stuff like engine parameters, headlight usage, amount of brake applied, etc.

good luck. I'm sure someone else will chime in shortly

Exco

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope cause when I had my Cummins I had a programmer on it and had some issues with the fuel system, when I brought it to the dealer they found traces of the programmer. Showed me the print out where the computer read spicked levels in the ecm. Just wondering if anyone was able to get away with it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Would also like to know. Same thing from holding me back on the Diablo Trinity programmer

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
My understanding is you can put the stock program back and it won't be noticed but if a full diagnostic is done for a problem, then it can be found. That was what I was told from a tech at the dealer. So my concern is if you have a major failure and your still under warranty you might be find out. I'd love to do it but not while I have a warranty.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I was afraid to hear that but I felt like I knew it was true.. Looks like I'm going to have to wait for the programmer then.. (sigh)

·
Registered
13 Posts
From what i read superchips is the only one that erases everything so no traces are left. It's just something i read i don't know for sure. I think once you flash your truck, let's say bring back to stock you have to drive around for a while like let's say 500 km so the computer has some data in there. But as far as my truck goes i've had a tuner on the truck since i got it, starting with a Trinity (garbage) and had torque converter replaced under warranty amongst a few other things, and never have they questioned me about the tuner. Some dealers don't care and some might.

As for a tuner recommendation i would say Superchips is the one 2 go with. I had a Diablosport trinity and personally had issues with it, first they don't have a towing tune, which is what i use it for mostly and it's a bit complicated for nothing. The cable that connects to the programmer is weak and cheap, and had to return it twice for them to repair. My dad had the same on his f-250 and they had to replace his PCU twice (under warranty luckily) and that's a diesel and they never asked about a tuner being on it. But we both got rid of them, and since i got a superchips (flashpaq) and must say it's much user friendly and works flawlessly.

If you want to unleash your hemi, id say go for it. Just make sure you put it back to stock before a dealer visit and all will be fine.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Hey all, thinking about a programmer for the hemi. only thing holding me back is im wondering if the dealer can find out if i have a programmer on it. a lot of newer vehicles are black boxing the trucks that stores the info so you cant get away with it. has anyone had one on the truck yet and taken in to the dealer?? did you get cought? dont wanna lose my lifetime warrenty. also what programmers are you all using? Can you feel the gain? wanna know if its worth the 400 bucks. thanks!!
i have the diablo sport programmer, i went lots of time to the dealership and they did had to plug in their computer and they never mention a thing about it. even once it was for a service recall that they needed to reflash the computer,.. and still no problem

but i do return it to the original stock tuning 1 or 2 days before my appointment

if you shop arounf you can get one for around 299.99$

·
Registered
478 Posts
i have the diablo sport programmer, i went lots of time to the dealership and they did had to plug in their computer and they never mention a thing about it. even once it was for a service recall that they needed to reflash the computer,.. and still no problem

but i do return it to the original stock tuning 1 or 2 days before my appointment

if you shop arounf you can get one for around 299.99$
Great to know! Now I will defiantly get the diablo trinity soon. Thanks for the info! anything else I should know about them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is out of the user manual for the Trinity.

2.4- Restoring the “Original Backup”
From time to time you may need to bring your vehicle in for service work
or emissions testing. With a performance tune installed on the vehicle,
the dealership’s diagnostic equipment may not connect or read your
PCM. To avoid this it is essential that you restore the “Original Backup”
to the vehicle before you bring it in for service or testing. Keep in mind
that only the “Original Backup” will restore the true factory settings to
your vehicle with no watermarks or footprints left in the PCM. Any tune
labeled “Factory HP Tune” or “Factory Tune” is not the same as your
“Original Backup”‐ it is actually a Diablo Tune File that lets you modify
the vehicle’s stock program without power gains. You may also want to
use your Trinity on another vehicle. The Trinity will not tune another
vehicle until the “Original Backup” has been restored and it is no longer
married/ VIN locked to a vehicle. Let’s review how to restore your
vehicle’s “Original Backup”:

·
Registered
478 Posts
JUST what I needed to hear from someone to allow me to purchase the trinity now.. Thanks Hemiram09

·
Registered
152 Posts
Had a diesel go through the shop with another engine failure. Its not about going in and seeing if you have an aftermarket flash or not. What will happen is if its something as major as an engine failure, in this case it was the trucks second engine. Chrysler will then say well we want a print out of how many times the computer has been flashed. Everytime you load and unload your flash from your programmer that is what tells them. The computer counts the amount of times it has been flashed/reprogrammed. Most vehicles will only be flashed under warranty or recall or something related to new programming and will also be documented as it usually has to be done at a dealer. So the give away is when it comes in and has 100 flashed on it for starters and secondly none are documented. This is just speaking from experience from seeing people get looked into further. Most jobs like transmissions and such never get this far unless a certain dealer is issuing a ton of claims on a certain related part. At least where I am, we don't go in looking for excuses to void warranty and such. If its a given that if your running a tune and driving the truck into the ground than expecting warranty, then we get a little more detailed in seeing why things are failing.

*edit, don't take my response the wrong way. I am all for modding, love it to death. I have wanted to tune my 2010 for awhile now, just been lazy. Just giving the heads up of what they look for.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Had a diesel go through the shop with another engine failure. Its not about going in and seeing if you have an aftermarket flash or not. What will happen is if its something as major as an engine failure, in this case it was the trucks second engine. Chrysler will then say well we want a print out of how many times the computer has been flashed. Everytime you load and unload your flash from your programmer that is what tells them. The computer counts the amount of times it has been flashed/reprogrammed. Most vehicles will only be flashed under warranty or recall or something related to new programming and will also be documented as it usually has to be done at a dealer. So the give away is when it comes in and has 100 flashed on it for starters and secondly none are documented. This is just speaking from experience from seeing people get looked into further. Most jobs like transmissions and such never get this far unless a certain dealer is issuing a ton of claims on a certain related part. At least where I am, we don't go in looking for excuses to void warranty and such. If its a given that if your running a tune and driving the truck into the ground than expecting warranty, then we get a little more detailed in seeing why things are failing.

*edit, don't take my response the wrong way. I am all for modding, love it to death. I have wanted to tune my 2010 for awhile now, just been lazy. Just giving the heads up of what they look for.
Alright back to the idea of waiting for the warranty to end first lol.. I want one so bad but don't want to kill that warranty if possible if something goes terribly wrong

1 - 14 of 14 Posts