DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking more and more about buying a programmer I know that it adds torque and ponys. But what else are the benifits besides removing a governor and rev limit. I.e.: how can I get the best shifts for my truck with the programmer. What do (can) I set the shift points to get the most out of my motor/ tranny?

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can turn off MDS, some people do this to avoid annoying exhaust sound with aftermarket exhaust that occurs when MDS is on. Mileage will likely go down with MDS off. You can reduce the torque control so that you have more power during shifts so you can accelerate faster. I am sure this feels great until the transmission starts to slip, an upgraded transmission can prevent this. Just keep in mind Ram spent the money to tune the torque control so that your transmission would last longer, not to reduce the thrill of acceleration. You can raise the shift points so you're in the peak power band longer for better acceleration, assuming you have engine mods to support this. I assume you mean raise the rev limiter? Because you want to keep a rev limiter, even a raised one, otherwise you will likely damage the engine. Part of the idea is to take advantage of more power from engine modifications but to really do that you would need a dyno tune. The speed limiter is there to prevent over spinning the stock tires and often the driveshaft. I enjoyed using my Superchips tuner with my weaker 4.7 but I am keeping the stock tune with my Hemi swap. It has plenty of power for my use, towing my TT and hauling stuff in the bed. More power would just ensure I got a ticket and increased insurance rates as they patrol very heavily around here.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Yes, you can set shift points at WOT, increase throttle pressure, change tire sizes, etc...

I think the bigger benefits are improving throttle response, more torque and HP at lower RPM's, custom shift points, fuel & spark management improvements by removing a lean condition, etc...

You won't see any real gain in MPG. I didn't expect one but one benefit I wanted was to turn off MDS and that was done by Hemifever when he put together my custom tune.

HF will look at your data logs from the truck (acquired when you use the programmer to log engine performance) and he can customize from there. He'll look at how and when the truck shifts at WOT and look at A/F ratio. He can tune out that "it fell on it's face" feeling you get if it's not shifting in the optimum power band.

There's a lot he can do and he will ask what sorts of things you'd like to have done.

It's all worth it, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
You can reduce the torque control so that you have more power during shifts so you can accelerate faster. I am sure this feels great until the transmission starts to slip, an upgraded transmission can prevent this. Just keep in mind Ram spent the money to tune the torque control so that your transmission would last longer, not to reduce the thrill of acceleration.
Agreed...

I think the bigger benefits are improving throttle response, more torque and HP at lower RPM's, custom shift points, fuel & spark management improvements by removing a lean condition, etc...

He can tune out that "it fell on it's face" feeling you get if it's not shifting in the optimum power band.

There's a lot he can do and he will ask what sorts of things you'd like to have done.
^That's what it feels like

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
All I'd ever use one for is recalibrating the truck for bigger tires, removing the speed limiter, or disabling MDS.

If I supercharged I'd need one...

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
All I'd ever use one for is recalibrating the truck for bigger tires, removing the speed limiter, or disabling MDS.

If I supercharged I'd need one...
agreed, but if i supercharged, i would building up the engine to handle the new hardware. though when i am ready to do something like this, i would just want to put in a hell cat engine.

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
agreed, but if i supercharged, i would building up the engine to handle the new hardware. though when i am ready to do something like this, i would just want to put in a hell cat engine.
Agreed, though I'd probably just do a forged rotating assembly and mains for my 345

You'd need to tune any engine that has boost to regulate the extra air to fuel ratio
Exactly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.