DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls,

I have a 1500 ram sport 2015 w/ projector lights. I have been killing myself going through all different brands of headlight bulb replacements to get rid of the stock yellow bulbs. I have tried two different hid kits with all of the resistors and capacitors wired in and they all work for about a minute or two, start blinking and then stop working once the engine is starting.

I switched and tried canbus compliant led's with resistors and capacitors and they do the exact same thing. I guess the truck's computer just doesn't like them. BUT I HATE THIS BANANA YELLOW LIGHT FROM STANDARD BULBS. Especially when the rest of my truck is clean led's.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or found some after market bulbs/kits that work?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Advice on HID kits. I had an 07 Mustang Shelby GT500 and installed top of the line HID kit per wiring diagram exactly the way it was supposed to be installed. Had a failure on one of the transformer things that burned and almost caused a fire under the hood. Checked with my insurance company because it did some discoloration of the paint under the hood and side of engine compartment. They told me if you have an after market kit like these on a vehicle and it fails, and if that is determined by an insurance investigator, you coverage is null and void. Went back to stock headlight bulbs. Something to really consider on a vehicle that costs tens of thousands $$ that can be a total loss out of pocket.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow

what insurance company was that?

That's crazy, I previously had a durango that had basically the exact same headlights (projectors also) it had factory HID's. frustrating!
Thanks for you reply

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
there is a thread around here that recommends ditching the stock 9005 bulbs on the projector head light and converting to a
(I think) a 9011 or 9012 bulbs with a dramatic improvement

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Hey guys and girls,

I have a 1500 ram sport 2015 w/ projector lights. I have been killing myself going through all different brands of headlight bulb replacements to get rid of the stock yellow bulbs. I have tried two different hid kits with all of the resistors and capacitors wired in and they all work for about a minute or two, start blinking and then stop working once the engine is starting.

I switched and tried canbus compliant led's with resistors and capacitors and they do the exact same thing. I guess the truck's computer just doesn't like them. BUT I HATE THIS BANANA YELLOW LIGHT FROM STANDARD BULBS. Especially when the rest of my truck is clean led's.

Has anyone else had this problem and/or found some after market bulbs/kits that work?

Thanks so much!
Take a look at retro shop dot us. They can change out the projector in the OEM headlight to that of a projector. You can then get any color of light you wish.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nah

I don't think that the projector is the problem, the hid/led kits have fit perfectly and been beautiful. but it seems that the computer doesn't agree...

·
Registered
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn Limited CTD
1,532 Posts
there is a thread around here that recommends ditching the stock 9005 bulbs on the projector head light and converting to a
(I think) a 9011 or 9012 bulbs with a dramatic improvement
You can upgrade the highbeam to a 9011 on quads/projectors which is a dramatic improvement. For the PJ's the 9012 is as good as it gets unless you go HID.

Xenon-depot has units that will work with the 2015's, they are a sponsor on this site. I have no experience with them but others on here have used them with success.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks

thanks,
I just sent an email to the xenon depot people. I can't stand to take my grille and lights out again with the possibility of more blinking!!
:SHOCKED:

·
Registered
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn Limited CTD
1,532 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
I replaced my previous HID kit (2015 Laramie) with the Xenon Depot Philips Xtreme kit day before yesterday. I did use the wiring harness that they sent with me. Put it all together and it looked like it was going to work great. Next morning I jump in it at 0530 crank it up and a few minutes later I got the dreaded bulb out message. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the headlights go completely out after 20-30 minutes where the truck would need to be restarted for the lights to come back on again? or does just the bulb with the error shut off? Needless to say I hauled arse to work because I didn't have time to work on them and I didn't want to test the bulb out theory. To make a long story short DONT use the harness they will send you as thats what caused my bulb out message. For once I was trying to be proactive and avoid any shortcuts and it blew up in my face. Great HID kit by the way once its installed properly!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts