DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am another victim of a crappy (cracking) dashboard in my 2001 Ram.

I have recently purchased a 2012 Ram 1500 Express Crew 4x4 and want to not have the same problem again.

I am not really wild about having carpet on my dashboard... carpet belongs on the floor.

What are ya'll doing to protect your dashboards in the 2012 models?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Use a sunshade

Dude, here in sunny Florida we use silver reflective sunshades to keep hot sun from damaging the dashboard. You can get these in rollup or folding. Cheap ones are available at just about any auto parts store. You should be able to find or order one made expressly for your truck. I'm still using a generic rollup one that I got years and several vehicles ago. Yah, its a pain in the neck to put up and take down sometimes, but it will keep your interior a bit cooler and keep your dash from warping in the heat or suffering UV damage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a 60% ceramic tint installed on the windsheild. The ceramic tints block out more heat then regular tints. I too am victim to my '96 rams dash falling apart. I ended up putting the ceramic 60% over the factory tints to block more heat along with 20% on the front doors.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 94 and several other gen 2's dashes cracked too. I worry it will happen to my 2012 and the 2010 I sold last week. I went to the dealership and bought the custom ones they sell. Its not cheap and its like 45 dollars but well worth it. Its some special material that takes a good sitting in the sun for the day to unwind and stay unwound. Its the exact shape of the windshield and cover every part of the dash. Best investment so far...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Agreed, I use a generic roll up one I got from some promo...def the cheapest investment so far, lol

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am another victim of a crappy (cracking) dashboard in my 2001 Ram.

I have recently purchased a 2012 Ram 1500 Express Crew 4x4 and want to not have the same problem again.

I am not really wild about having carpet on my dashboard... carpet belongs on the floor.

What are ya'll doing to protect your dashboards in the 2012 models?
I use Surf City Dash Away on all my vehicles. It cleans and protects from UV but doesn't leave a visible film behind or shine. During the hot summer days I use a windshield cover.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I have leather on my dash so i use protectent and the sun visor they work great and keep it cool
me too... that pretty much covers it.

I figure with the leather, so long as I don't allow it to dry out too much, then it shouldn't crack

Exco

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well, I happen to like the fabric cover designs in something like a Dashmat and such, and it doesn't have as much to do with UV protection as it does being able to sit something on the dash and have it stay there. Most all modern dashes are like skating rinks. If you really use your truck and like to temporarily or permanently set items on the dash, the Dashmat style covers are almost like velcro. You can't even put a hat or cap on our uncovered dashes and back out of the driveway without it falling to the floor. People are different though, so you gotta do what you gotta do. I also have a cargo minivan with a dashmat, and on drives across the country, it's nice to be able to set something on the dash and have it stay put. They're pretty darned useful. Yeah, when you first unfold it and place it on the dash, it needs to warm up for a couple of weeks to shape itself to the dash, so one should be patient.

I use my cargo minivan and truck for their intended purposes, and I want to be able to set items on the dash occasionally. If it was all about style only, I would have purchased a Challenger...LOL!:D

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Now that you mentioned that: Do I have a leather dash? Along with the door panels? I though it was man made materials.
Did you pay alot if so then yes lol look on your sticker im not sure , the r/t's come standard with leather everything if your seats are leather and your steering wheel then id say so is your dash

·
Registered
251 Posts
Did you pay alot if so then yes lol look on your sticker im not sure , the r/t's come standard with leather everything if your seats are leather and your steering wheel then id say so is your dash
It's not on the sticker. I have the Longhorn edition which is supposed to have the best premium leather available for the Rams. Not sure if it's leather. It looks like leather, but it's spongy to the touch.

I'd like to know for sure to know which cleaners to use.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
It's not on the sticker. I have the Longhorn edition which is supposed to have the best premium leather available for the Rams. Not sure if it's leather. It looks like leather, but it's spongy to the touch.

I'd like to know for sure to know which cleaners to use.
Can you take a pic but if its spongy id have to say yes

G

·
I've always put things on my dash...and consequently have always had some sort of fabric or carpet like dash cover. Who makes a good one for the Ram 1500? That dash is slicker than an ice skating rink.

G

·
Cleaning your leather.

Ok guys...don't poo-poo me right out of the gate, but I did a bit of concours events with Porsches and believe it or not, most of the guys (me included) cleaned the whole interior...seats, leather, vinyl, cloth....with a mixture of something as simple and availlable....ready??? WOOLITE. A mixture of one cup of Woolite to 4 cups of distilled water will beat the hell out of all those other fancy concoctions that you pay $10 or more for. Think I'm BS'ing you? You don't need to go a 4 to 1 cup ratio...gives you a lot of cleaning solution...so just cut it back to a 4 to 1 ratio in smaller but fairly accurately measured amounts and use distilled water...or put it in a clean plastic spray bottle and use it as needed. Use a clean white towel...you can buy those small packages of white towels from Costco. That way you can see the dirt, grime, coffee stains etc that are coming off your interior. Also, unlike Armoral, Woolite doesn't "gas" when the interior gets hot in the sun and leave the inside of your windshield with a foggy film.

I never took first in a concours, but I have come in at 3rd and like I said, many of the guys use this as their secret formula. Give it a try before you go negative.

Cj

·
Registered
251 Posts
my sport is leather like, doubt if it is real leather, also wondering what to clean it with.
To me, and four other individuals that have seen my truck: The seats and upper side panesl - Leather. The dash - Man made leather....pretty damn accurate leather like pattern.

Could someone please verify this.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ok guys...don't poo-poo me right out of the gate, but I did a bit of concours events with Porsches and believe it or not, most of the guys (me included) cleaned the whole interior...seats, leather, vinyl, cloth....with a mixture of something as simple and availlable....ready??? WOOLITE. A mixture of one cup of Woolite to 4 cups of distilled water will beat the hell out of all those other fancy concoctions that you pay $10 or more for. Think I'm BS'ing you? You don't need to go a 4 to 1 cup ratio...gives you a lot of cleaning solution...so just cut it back to a 4 to 1 ratio in smaller but fairly accurately measured amounts and use distilled water...or put it in a clean plastic spray bottle and use it as needed. Use a clean white towel...you can buy those small packages of white towels from Costco. That way you can see the dirt, grime, coffee stains etc that are coming off your interior. Also, unlike Armoral, Woolite doesn't "gas" when the interior gets hot in the sun and leave the inside of your windshield with a foggy film.

I never took first in a concours, but I have come in at 3rd and like I said, many of the guys use this as their secret formula. Give it a try before you go negative.

Cj
Woolite is still around. Last time I heard of it was when my Mom, back in the late 70s, cleaned certain clothing with it.

I would definitely try it. Now, for leather, I would follow with a conditioner.

G

·
Many of the high end cars now are going to man made "leather" for the side panels and most of the covered parts like the back/sides of the seats, door panels etc. The only real leather is usually the seat back and bottom that actually come in contact with you (and..if listed on the build sheet, the steering wheel). Actually, the manufacturing process for man made leather has become so sophisticated that it's almost impossible to tell which is leather and which isn't. You'd be surprised if you can determine just exactly how much real leather there is in a car. I wasted a lot of leather conditioner on my Limited Edition Nissan Murano that was advertised as "'leather interior"... until I found out that I was conditioning a lot of non-leather surfaces that really only needed a damp cloth, and maybe a mild cleaning solution to cut the body oil and ground in dirt or spills. I've had a number of cars that had leather, and I've gotten so that I actually prefer a nicely appointed fabric seat....in spite of the hype, I don't think leather is really cooler than the breathing consistency of a woven fabric.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts