DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hi. I have been watching this forum for awhile and finally registered here today. I bought my 1st ever Dodge back around Thanksgiving. 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 express 4x4. So far i love it. It was hard coming from a lifer Ford guy but the price was right. Not to mention i always talked down Dodge all my life. I figured why not try something out then i can really accurately judge it.

So far i have 3100 miles on her and she has been good. I did have a weird rattle right from the get go. I ended up tracing it to the seal on the windshield on the passenger side. I simply put a little CA glue on the 2 adjoining pieces and voila, problem solved.
So far i have only added a magnaflow 18" exhaust. I love it so far. It is a little annoying around 25 mph cruising and that MDS kicks in. I have hand calculated every tank so far. The lowest was 14.8, 15.8 average, and a best of 16.8. I do a mix of highway, country roads, and small town driving. Tomorrow i am picking up my Truxedo truxsport tonneau cover. Pretty excited about that as it will come in handy for when i head to Missouri next month snow goose hunting.

Ok, a couple things i noticed being a new Dodge owner. 1) Whats with no standard tow hooks? 2) my book says spark plugs need to be changed at 36,000 miles....really? 3) From what i have gathered oil changes are every 8,000 miles, is this correct? I changed my oil in my F-150 every 5,000 miles and i was running mobil 1. 4) The no limited slip thing is pretty annoying in the snow not to mention the crap Goodyear tires. 5) There is considerably more wind noise then my previous truck (2006 Ford F150 FX4)

Overall i am very happy with the truck and i hope to God it treats me well. This sucker runs like a raped ape! Sorry for the long post, just felt like i would get everything out there. Thankyou.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looking to buy a Ram myself. 2012 Big Horn, CC 4x4. Coming from a 2001 Silverado, Ext. Cab, 4x4. Had a 2010 loaner Ram for a few months when my truck was being repaired. Quad Cab with the 4.7. Loved the interior compared to anything out there. (I have test driven a 2011 Ford CC 4x4 Ecoboost). Glad you like your Ram. This is a great site for info.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just wanted to say hi. I have been watching this forum for awhile and finally registered here today. I bought my 1st ever Dodge back around Thanksgiving. 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 express 4x4. So far i love it. It was hard coming from a lifer Ford guy but the price was right. Not to mention i always talked down Dodge all my life. I figured why not try something out then i can really accurately judge it.

Ok, a couple things i noticed being a new Dodge owner. 1) Whats with no standard tow hooks? 2) my book says spark plugs need to be changed at 36,000 miles....really? 3) From what i have gathered oil changes are every 8,000 miles, is this correct? I changed my oil in my F-150 every 5,000 miles and i was running mobil 1. 4) The no limited slip thing is pretty annoying in the snow not to mention the crap Goodyear tires. 5) There is considerably more wind noise then my previous truck (2006 Ford F150 FX4)

Overall i am very happy with the truck and i hope to God it treats me well. This sucker runs like a raped ape! Sorry for the long post, just felt like i would get everything out there. Thankyou.
Welcome and congrats on the new Ram! Being a loyal GM guy for years, and still own other GM's in the garage, I can relate to your thread being a "Ford lifer." When I test drove, and ultimately bought my Ram, there was a lot of eye openers for me so I took a chance. Still really like my Ram, but gonna have to agree with ya on some of your questions.

The tow hook things, not really sure what they were thinking as we are driving trucks....not a Prius. I personally think they should be standard on 4x4's, but ultimate when we ask a question why a car manufacture did something 9 times out of 10 it's a cost savings measure. Good news is adding tow hooks is a cheap and simple mod lots of members have done.

The spark plug thing...can't even begin to grasp that one, let alone there are twice as many plugs. I'll write a check for that one when the time comes. :i_rolleyes:

Oil changes...don't even follow that one. I'm old school...3k miles, faithful. Don't keep vehicles long enough to give a sh*t about synthetic anymore especially the way the oils are better engineered. ;)

Couldn't agree more on the crappy Goodyears, but I made sure my truck has the LSD. Again...probably a cost saving thing. Are LSD standard on Ford's? For some reason I thought they were or I heard that some where? GM is also an option, and the ones I owned again...made sure it had LSD on my previous trucks.

I was surprised you mentioned more wind noise....I was thinking the opposite.....interesting. :4-dontknow:

Any ways... welcome to the forum. Tons of good info here, and lot of great people willing to help out. :smileup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The wind noise thing is not that big of a deal. I noticed that on the test drive. My F150 was by far the most quiet vehicle i have ver drove on the road. Maybe that is why they are so heavy as they have a ton of insulation? It was just some things i noticed. I see some things that were cheaply done in comparison to my last ride and some things that are done better. The judgement is out. So far i love this truck.....mainly for the power. If it wasn't for the power i think i would still be driving Ford. Either way i love my truck and i am happy with it. :smileup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome to the dark side hahaha. I myself was a Ford lifer as well. I came from an '06 F150 XLT Supercab 4x4. Traded my truck in when I moved to Florida (no snow). Got a wagon (Magnum RT) then bought a 2wd Express (missed having a truck).

I, too, talked down about Dodge. I feel kinda guilty now since I had no idea how good these trucks are. Even my Magnum was pretty solid. I only have about 1000 miles on mine but I have been extremely impressed.

Also, this online community is very welcoming. They will look past your vehicle history. They don't hold grudges :LOL:

·
Registered
427 Posts

So far i have 3100 miles on her and she has been good. I did have a weird rattle right from the get go. I ended up tracing it to the seal on the windshield on the passenger side. I simply put a little CA glue on the 2 adjoining pieces and voila, problem solved.
So far i have only added a magnaflow 18" exhaust. I love it so far. It is a little annoying around 25 mph cruising and that MDS kicks in. I have hand calculated every tank so far. The lowest was 14.8, 15.8 average, and a best of 16.8. I do a mix of highway, country roads, and small town driving. Tomorrow i am picking up my Truxedo truxsport tonneau cover. Pretty excited about that as it will come in handy for when i head to Missouri next month snow goose hunting.

Good to have you on board. I'm still new to Ram ownership but I've owned a Charger R/T for a few years now and it has been great. If the mds bothers you there's a solution. When you put it in drive go to manual shift mode then select 6th gear. Now it will drive normally without the mds coming on. By the way I've never heard ''raped ape'' LMAO.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Glad you're liking your truck. I have an Express as well. I agree about the tow hooks. Good news is they are easily added. Spark plugs, I'll just replace them as the book says. Oil Changes, well the manual says it will tell you when the oil needs to be changed, and this can be as early as 3500 miles and never to exceed 8k miles. So 5k miles is probably a good interval, especially using synthetic. I always thought the maintenance for 8k miles wasn't for oil changes but just a maintenance schedule for the whole vehicle and you should still be doing oil changes regularly at shorter intervals. Just my opinion, but maintain your vehicle how you like.
I don't have the LSD either but I found it to perform good in the snow, and if I was really sliding around I would just flip it into 4x4. My only reference on driving in the snow is a Toyota Camry though. And this truck has less wind noise than that car so it's an improvement for me.

Overall, the power for price of these Rams cannot be beat. And I think the truck is so comfortable. I'm going to haul a bunch of my stuff across the country in it on Monday

·
Registered
15 Posts
Windshield Rattle

I too think I have the rattle coming from my windshield although I have an '11. Do you have pictures of the area that you glued to stop the rattle?
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, Just got my first dodge after life long GMC.
1) Missing Tow Hooks (just a cheap move)
2) Spark Plug at 36,000 is just lame (I will go 50,000)
3) Oil at 8,000 (I usually do 5,000 then tires are 10,000 and probably stick to this)
4) Yes, Noisier then my GMC
5) I had to order my Express so I could get 3.55 Anti-Slip Rear
6) Goodyears are not good and Headrests are weird
7) Radio is too far away from Driver

But I do like this truck alot. I told myself I would drive it for 5,000 miles and see if I want to keep it long term. If so, I will get the Lifetime Dodge Warranty ($2500.00) and if I am so-so about the truck after my trip to Florida, then I will drive it for 3 years and move on. It is all going to depend on comfort and reliability for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will try and get some pictures here soon. My truck is hard to keep clean with the snow here and salt on the roads. It is just a stock 1500 express (red) 4x4. I did put a Truxedo Truxport tonneau cover on it yesterday. The dealer also gave me the Red Wings edition head rest's for free, they look great by the way. Black leather with the Red Wings logo on them. These Red Wings edition rams might only be available in Michigan though or at least i assume. I will also try and get a pic of the seal on the windshield. It was on the passenger side near the bottom. Where it comes up at the corner it meets another piece. I noticed that was loose and put a few drops of CA glue in there and that was it, for the ones who thought they had a rattle coming from that part.

Oh and what is this lifetime warranty for $2500?? I bought the 100,000 warranty for $1400. Wish i would have known about that. Oh, and ya i sometimes just shift it into 6 to shut off the MDS. Has anybody else noticed the huge difference when the traction control is off?? This thing is an absolute animal!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts