DODGE RAM FORUM banner

PS rear window not working

34K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  brad12kx 
#1 ·
was wondering if anyone else had any issues with the power windows not working. after doing some driving today, and having all the windows working fine, i rolled them up to get on the highway. after getting off the highway, all the windows except the passenger rear one would move. i tried the switch on the drivers door, and the switch on the ps rear door as well, and nothing. just wondering if anyone may be able to point me in a direction of what to look for before i tear into it tomorrow. its under warranty, but being overseas its a bit tough to get stuff done. i searched the forums, and couldn't find anything. i might not be using the right key words. anyway, thanks for any help...

G
#3 ·
It's either the connection or the motor.

Since it worked going up it seems weird that the motor would give up in between cycles. Normally they give up as the window is operating, usually when it's going down just to tick ya off...

#4 ·
As Maddog said, Sounds to be either the motor, bad connection or a short to ground. Should check the connector on the motor, before and after the going through the door as well. Those seem to be the most common places for work harded wires or shorts.

#5 ·
Check the wiring connector on the window switch on the offending door. If it came loose, this problem would happen, as the motor is wired through the switch. dodge calls the switch a 'module'.

#6 ·
ok...got the door panel off and checked out the switch. everything is connected up good and tight. i found out that the actuator is only working on the up switch, from both the drivers door and the rear door. it is not working on the down switch from either. could this possibly be a bad actuator? i only have about 3k miles on my truck so far. i can't imagine that would be the problem, but you never know. all the connections are good, on the actuator and on the module/door switch. i'll be getting a new battery for my voltmeter tomorrow to see if the switch may be bad, or if there's actually voltage going to the actuator or not. anyone have any other ideas of places or things i should check? thanks for the help so far. this is an awesome sight full of great people and a lot of good info... thanks for the space ;-)

#7 ·
There are 2 things that could case this. The door switch on the RR door, and the Drivers door module. Based on your results, I bets are on the drivers door module....or at least Connector C2. This module supplies the UP signal on the Orange/Dark Blue wire, and down on the Orange/Light Blue wire. There are beside each other in the connector.

These signals are presented to the RR door switch, but the color changes in the harness. The UP (Orange/Dark Blue) is Orange/White at the RR switch. The Down (Orange/Light Blue) is Orange/Gray at the switch. In the rest position, the Orange/White connects to the Tan/Yellow of the motor; and the Orange/Gray connects to Tan/Light Blue of the motor.

Other wires on the switch include Black for ground; and Orange/Light Blue for +12V to light the LED and provide power for manual operation.

Based on the wiring diagram, I would expect the 2 wires from the drivers module to test as 'Ground' when the switch on the drivers module is at rest.

Also expected - When the drivers switch is selected to 'up' -
The Orange/White at the RR should show +12
The Orange/Gray at the RR should show Ground.

When the drivers switch is selected to 'Down', the above readings should be opposite.

If you into all that testing, let me know if there are any differences in the wire colors at the RR switch. My wiring diagram is for 2009, but I have been total that it is current for 2010 & 2011. :4-dontknow:

#8 ·
I have a 2006 Ram with power windows. Tonight, I went to roll down the windows while driving and all but the rear passenger window went down. Based on this thread, it looks like I need to check the wire harness at the motor and the switch to make sure they have not come loose. Any chance a blown fuse would have caused the issue?

#10 ·
Nope :( ....1 fuse does them all.

#9 ·
my wifes '06 Magnum would do the same thing...rear passenger window...some days it worked just fine, some days not at all....but she's got a '10 Charger now lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.