DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
My first thought is cap, then wires. Pull the cap and look inside, is it damp? Are there signs of arcing? When was the last time you replaced it and the wires?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i havnt in a while. its been sitting for a month now but should be running in a couple days i destroyed the od casing and 231 transfer case.. so bought a dld and new housing and gonna weld in a new brace lol. i was thinking cap to but i wanted to get another opinion before i started buying parts. thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Nice thing about tune up parts is...you will eventually need them so buying them isn't a waste of $:smileup:

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
I second the cap. I'd do a good check to make sure the wires are sealing on top of it too. Keep a can of WD-40 in the truck and even if after you swap out the cap and rotor, it's nice to have as a wire dryer to get it going again.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
spray a light coat of WD-40 in the cap, spark plug wire ends, both ends

but before you do, check the inside of the cap for a metallic trail left from the rotor if you have one,
as a joke we used to use a number 2 lead pencil to mark the inside of the distributor cap, the vehicle will never start with a lead circle inside there

·
Registered
243 Posts
I beg to disagree. If you are even remotely on the gas, water and the exhaust isn't an issue. We off road with VW Bugs and even with their little motors, if you keep a little throttle, it won't choke from water blocking the exhaust. BUT, get a little water under the cap and they are down for the count which is why we seal them up tight. And the OP mentions water splashing up and flaming out, not drowning it in a sinkhole. I still stick to my opinion it is ignition.

This one flamed out because of ignition and the tailpipe is a good 8" under water

and to just keep it Dodge-related...here's my son in his Dakota coming to pull us out.

·
Registered
669 Posts
You have a CAI? My buddy has an airaid on his 98 ram 5.2 and even going thru puddles in his neighborhood she would chug and quit. Took a cardboard box as a tempoary fix for wheelin, cut a hole for the tube, left the top open, and she never died again even after some serious mud puddles..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts