DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some research to figure out a squeeking/squeeling noise coming from my engine. It seemed to be coming from the front. Got alot of different answers, so I pulled the belt and started spinning pulleys. The only pulleys that made any noise were the two tensioner pulleys. Not the alternator or the power steering or any of the others made so much as a whisper of a squeek. So, I replaced them both. The new pulleys were much tighter and didn't spin freely like the others, a sure sign of the opld ones being worn out. But, the sound is still there. It makes my otherwise awesome truck sound like I don't take care of it. It is aggravating.

Also, the belt is still good, no cracks and I checked the depth of the grooves and they were all fine. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm also having trouble finding a replacement PCV valve, everything I read says its on the oil filler tube and mine is on the rear of the driver side valve cover. And the two part stores in town only have the oil filler one in their computer, as does my chilton. This is a source of endless amusement.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sometimes the pullys wont make a sound when you turn them by hand, only when spun hard enough by the motor.You can try either using a piece of tubing or something similar to listen better and pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. Or spray some wd-40 or seafoam on it and see if that quiets it down.

As for the PCV valve i had the same issue. The people at the auto stores kept giving me the wrong part saying thats what there computer pulls up, but its wrong. Take off the existing PCV valve and bring it in to them. It should have a part number on it they can cross reference.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have done that. They questioned that it was even a PCV valve, and then one guy said "Your truck is probably no old enough for them to be making aftermarket parts yet" SMH I said except you just told me it was this part (showing him the wrong one lying on the counter). There was no part number to be found and I kick myself for not taking a picture of it. It is a P.I.T.A. to get at. I guess I need to try a Dodge Dealer, closest one is 30 miles.
The reason I'm looking for a PCV valve is I'm trying to hunt down the cause of a rough idle between 550-600RPM you can just feel the truck shake. PCV is the cheapest option. I took off the IAC valve and cleaned it. I'm not dropping $80 on IAC until I switch $8 PCV valve first.

·
Registered
53 Posts
When i brought it in they said the same thing, not believing it was even a PCV valve. Let me see if I can find the part number for that. I got it at O'reily auto parts, they had to special order it and it was like 30 bucks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My truck squeaks like that as well. So far my number one suspect is the fan clutch. I'm planning on doing the Taurus electric fan mod in the near future so I haven't looked into the squeak much further since everything still seems to be working just fine. I'm no help on the pcv valve, I just bought my truck in September and the dealer did a full tune up before I took it off the lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts