DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Cab of choice?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you add that 8' bed after you purchased the Mega Cab?
How much time and material did you invest in the mod?
You can get a long bed megacab if you get a dually.
Edit: I thought this was the case (read it somewhere) but got into a conversation with someone went to find proof and now not sure which if any years this was available.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Those who have them can you tell me why you chose that. When we bought our '11 I thought that was a mega cab it is only a crew, my husband told me they were bigger 😲😲😲 tf you mean bigger?
Two reasons it works well for me: 1. I’ve always like being prepared. Carrying tools, tarps, bungies, tow straps, jumper cables, etc. in a bed tool box. Unfortunately it takes up bed space and sometimes gets in the way loading larger items. Now I have 8” of space behind the seats that I can use instead. 2. I have two kids and two dogs that we take camping. The dogs sit in the floorboard with the kids feet. I now have an extra 3” of leg room. Turning radius and fitting in parking spots are a challenge. Longer wheelbase theoretically helps with stability towing a long camper. It’s basically the length of a quad cab long bed, if Ram made such a thing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know the sizes. Im asking why anyone would chose a mega cab. Jesus
My brother-in-law has the mega cab on his 3/4 ton. The truck is not his daily driver, and is mainly used on the weekends or for towing their toy hauler. They have no need for an 8' bed, but having a roomy cab works well for them. If he needs 8 feet, he grabs one of his trailers.

I have a quad cab 1/2 ton, and it is my daily driver. I sacrificed the space of the crew cab so I could have a longer bed, as I use the longer bed more often than I use the backseat for passengers.

Different people have different requirements.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I absolutely love my MegaCab. I chose the mega cab because I utilize the cab more than I would ever use a long bed. My children can recline their seats and we can place valuables behind the rear seats.
We camp a lot and I keep an axe, recovery gear, blankets, emergency food, water and jackets behind the rear seats. I don’t want to keep anything of value in the bed where It can be stolen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We had a 2007 Mega Cab 1500 (on a 2500 chassie , odd thing back in the day) with the 8' bed (factory). like the others have said, it's the extra room. Grand kids can't kick the back of the drivers seat no matter how hard they tried!! I am 6'4'' and loved the extra room for me...
The rear seat also folded down flat, you could put a sleeping bag out and sleep like a king, also my wife makes cakes and it was a dream using that feature for transport. Also the extra storage space behind the rear seat was a bonus.
Parking in some places was a challenge though...

·
Registered
2019 Ram 2500 Limited Mega Cab 4x4 in Patriot Blue 6.4 Hemi
4 Posts
I have the 2019 2500 Limited Mega with the 6.4.......love it! The hemi could care less about the 36' travel trailer I pull, if I decide to step up to a 5th wheel I don't have to worry about upgrading my power unit. At 6'4" I need all the leg room I can get and this is the first vehicle I've owned to give me all I need. The room in the back is stupendous, my son's are my size and I can load them and their family for long trips comfortably. As others have said the turning radius could be better, and I do park way out in the parking lot. But I can live with those inconveniences for the plusses that it gives me. I drove truck for a lot of years, so I guess maybe the disadvantages don't bother me as much. It's an adjustment but once I got used to it no problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Those who have them can you tell me why you chose that. When we bought our '11 I thought that was a mega cab it is only a crew, my husband told me they were bigger 😲😲😲 tf you mean bigger?
We have a 06 5.9L 4x4 3500 single wheel we bought new on 2006. We love the extra cab space to store all sorts of stuff when we had our Artic fox truck camper on board. Plus room for our dog (RIP) that we took with on our adventures. Now the truck is mostly retired but the extra space to safely carry stuff is great. I even set up a bed in back for my husband when he had to travel so he could sleep in the back with the seats down.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I love my mega cab. My truck is really only our tow vehicle. We tow long distances with our fifth wheel. I got it for the extra leg room and for the storage behind the rear seat. Love that extra storage. If You're a hunter it's also a perfect spot for your guns.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay and?. I don't care about extended or quad. Im talking about a mega cab. Maybe you should have read the post correctly.
i had a 11 mega cab for yrs, the mega has almost a foot of storage behind the rear seat. with lockers below the floor to store 'stuff' i could lean the rear seat backs forward and put a full size inflatable mattress in for camping. it also has about 6" more leg room for those seated in the rear. i just traded it in on a '20 powerwagon, miss the extra room in the rear but was time for a trade as i had almost 200,000mi. on the '11 mega. in this pic you can see the extended cab behind the rear door.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Apparently I didn’t think mine was long enough already so I added a Rough Country EXO winch mount and Badland Apex winch. :LOL:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I know the sizes. Im asking why anyone would chose a mega cab. Jesus
My 2017 2500 limited 6.7 4X4 mega cab, I love it for all of the extra room. When we go on trips with our two dogs, they have a lot of room with the seats folded down. Also, when we take a trip with our 5th wheel travel trailer, so when we get where we are going and go shopping, I can't put anything in the bed and expect it to be there as we continue to shop with the bed cover removed. When I go shopping, (like black Friday) I have all the room to put the delicate items inside the truck and there are a lot of other reasons. Also, when we go off with other people, they can't get over how much room there is. So, if I ever get another truck, it will be with the mega cab.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I miss the room my 07 Mega Cab had, but not the fuel mileage. The 5.7 Hemi only got 16.5 mpg and My CC 4x4 6'4" box Ecodiesel has given me up to 33 mpg. Not bad for a 6k # truck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
"Only a crew" sounds funny to me cause when like six different people that got in my Crew (this is the second) they turn and look at the space and comment :oops:on how "big it is". I compared when I bought my first and maybe still holds true still but you lose a couple of features with the mega like MDS and it's only about four inches longer.
I love my crew sport!

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are so right about uses for trucks. I have the crew cab and it is try amazing the amount of stuff hat I have put in that cab. I put a 4' bathroom vanity, still in the box back there once. I would love a mega cab though!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I love my mega cab! Gives me lots more room in the back for the dog or adult passengers. The reclining seats are a plus for passengers. We use our truck to tow our fifth wheel and typically take extra passengers with us. Makes traveling long distances much nicer for all occupants. With the seats down I can put a LOT of stuff inside to keep it safer and less prone to damage. Used it to bring two slices of redwood tree trunks to Florida to make tables from. Good chance they would have been scratched, damaged and wet in the bed if they would have even fit in front of the hitch. Also moved antique furniture in the back vice the bed. A real mans truck is what you need for your use. Having an 8' bed but needing more interior space didn't match our use and need in a tow vehicle. Lots more uses out there for trucks than hauling something in the bed.
We also have a 2014 ram mega cab duly limited. Apart from the 14 recalls the truck has so far been a good truck although only getting 12 mpg with the diesel. In the Rams defense we do have a lot of stuff strapped to it such as motorcycles boat and a chipper hanging on the back in case we want to chip branches up in our forest to reduce the
Fire danger very comfortable truck and we do love the leather and the 8 inch stereo is OK. Since we took the large camper off the back and no longer had a reefer we decided to buy the ARB reefer which fits behind the driver seat and I still have room for two passengers in the back the 1/3 section that the passenger seat behind us fold stone is perfect for the ARB fridge and I measured this and it turns out if we had a crew cab and the 8 foot bed that refrigerator would not fit behind the driver seat and leave room for two passengers also. We are actually thinking of scrapping the bed and putting some sort of 8 foot toolbox bed on this truck although that would change our insurance to a commercial insurance which we could only obtain through progressive. We do wish the Dooleys were built with some sort of super cool storage potential in the bed feinders such as the ram box design.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts