DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I went to my friend's house, looking at the interior of his 02 Dodge magnum I noticed he added a universal "push start button" just like BMW, Lexus, and so on add on those luxury cars, so my question has anyone tried to add one to your dodge ram?

I think that could be a pretty sweet mod, I don't know how easy or hard it could be to do :att: but you can find those cheap on ebay or a real cool one from this site http://www.kptechnologies.com/products.php#/18

Let me know what you guys think!!!

Heads up: I will be painting some of the engine components tomorrow... But that's another threat...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I dont think they belong on trucks that's why they don't come from the factory like that. Just sounds weird having a push button start on a pickup truck. I have it on my Challenger but I wouldn't do it on my Ram. JMO.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe thats factory on the SRT trucks .
I believe they come with that already unless I'm wrong lol

I dont think they belong on trucks that's why they don't come from the factory like that. Just sounds weird having a push button start on a pickup truck. I have it on my Challenger but I wouldn't do it on my Ram. JMO.
Yes you said it "they don't come from factory" that's why they sale universal ones, I find it cool to have one and not use your keys at all :smileup:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Push button start, eh? hmmm....

Yes :wavey: well see my ignition switch started to malfunction, the ACC doesn't work unless I manually press the key in (apply pressure so that the radio can be turned on), so I though of the push start button =)

·
Registered
21 Posts
my wife likes the push button in her car b/c she can keep her keys in her pocket book. Doesn't bother me, i gotta pull the keys out of the pocket to unlock anyhow.

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
53,579 Posts
I kinda like the idea, actually, and recently helped install one on a friend's Ford Explorer, fun little project, I thought it was a cool mod! Like kevint03, though, I'm already used to having to use the key all the time, unlock/start, but wouldn't mind having a push button start on my truck, too :D

- Cajun :pepper:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
...I find it cool to have one and not use your keys at all :smileup:
If you read the description in the link posted above I think you'll notice that this unit "does not provide any ignition switching" so you'll still have to use your key. Unless you get an additional IG50 Ignition Control Module - Which I can't find on their site.

I agree with the guys above...I don't think it belongs on a truck, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I think its a cool idea and something i would see putting in my vehicle but there would have to be back up way to start it cuz everyone who mods knows that these things can break or have problems. and the module that noone can find could be vehicle specific too

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
It's a cool idea but I wouldn't do it to my truck aftermarket like that. Specially with a kit that's not specifically made for my truck model and year. Plus I'd rather not cut any wires on the wire harness.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't see why not. I've looked at them for mine, and all I've seen have been some hokey knock-offs, that one doesn't look too bad.
Right =)

my wife likes the push button in her car b/c she can keep her keys in her pocket book. Doesn't bother me, i gotta pull the keys out of the pocket to unlock anyhow.
Hmmm unless you have a keyless entry system or shaved door handles...

I kinda like the idea, actually, and recently helped install one on a friend's Ford Explorer, fun little project, I thought it was a cool mod! Like kevint03, though, I'm already used to having to use the key all the time, unlock/start, but wouldn't mind having a push button start on my truck, too :D

- Cajun :pepper:
I know, sounds like a fun project and a bit of knowing how, which in my part I fail lol :LOL:

If you read the description in the link posted above I think you'll notice that this unit "does not provide any ignition switching" so you'll still have to use your key. Unless you get an additional IG50 Ignition Control Module - Which I can't find on their site.

I agree with the guys above...I don't think it belongs on a truck, but that's just my opinion.
Yup I just can't seem to find the video where they show it on a dodge car I believe.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think they are bad a** from the factory, but I am always nervous about aftermarket anything that has to do with starting my car's or truck's. I have seen to many things go wrong. From not starting to burning to the ground. JMO...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think they are bad a** from the factory, but I am always nervous about aftermarket anything that has to do with starting my car's or truck's. I have seen to many things go wrong. From not starting to burning to the ground. JMO...
Well I'm getting a remote starter keyless alarm system installed pretty soon so I might and might not do this, but it sure looks cool ;)

·
Registered
614 Posts
I put the SRT button on on my 02 Ram. The 02's-05's are a real simple install.

First run a wire from the reddish pink wire on the cigarette lighter to the number 5 pin on the button. Then run a wire from the solid yellow wire under the steering wheel behind the dash panel to the number 1 pin on the button. Secure everything, and that is it. So when the key is in the on position, you can hit the button and the truck will start.

·
Banned
12,929 Posts
I remember the SRT-10 push button mod being quite popular a few years ago, don't hear or see much about it anymore...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I put the SRT button on on my 02 Ram. The 02's-05's are a real simple install.

First run a wire from the reddish pink wire on the cigarette lighter to the number 5 pin on the button. Then run a wire from the solid yellow wire under the steering wheel behind the dash panel to the number 1 pin on the button. Secure everything, and that is it. So when the key is in the on position, you can hit the button and the truck will start.

Thanks for that quick guide, it sure will help me out... I saw on youtube this guy had one [universal] with RF so you didn't need the keys at all, well yes and no, with the keys he had a transponder so as long he had that on range he wouldn't need to insert the key into the ignition switch, and it was really cool because you could put your vehicle into ACC, Start it, turn it off (of course), and some other thing I can't remember... I will try to look for that video today.

I remember the SRT-10 push button mod being quite popular a few years ago, don't hear or see much about it anymore...
Hmmm I wonder why?! Oh I like your new avatar :smileup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts