DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 40 series flowmaster put on my 2012 1500 today. Sounds pretty good, but not quite as loud as I was hoping for. The guy said he could cut off the resonators (?) and replace them with straight pipe. They are located just behind the tips of the dual exhaust. Will this make much of a difference?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
a little but your FM is a chambered muffler just like the stock one so it's mostly for sound and not performance. what you want is a stright thru design like borla or a short magnaflow with the resonators removed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Had the same experience when I had my Magnaflow installed. Replaced resonators with straight pipe and it woke up the sound without making it too loud. No drone in mine (RCSB) without the resonators but others have reported droning.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
yea it will sound different. Leave your cats in dont remove them

·
Banned
551 Posts
I'm not sure about the 4th gens but my 3rd gen had another resonator after the Y pipe and on the tailpipe section, replacing both with straight pipes def woke up the Hemi!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I removed my resonators after installing my FM and I'm very pleased with the sound :smiley_thumbs_up:

Go for it!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm not sure about the 4th gens but my 3rd gen had another resonator after the Y pipe and on the tailpipe section, replacing both with straight pipes def woke up the Hemi!

Are you sure you didnt remove your cat? I only have the muffler and the resonator after the muffler...

·
Banned
551 Posts
Are you sure you didnt remove your cat? I only have the muffler and the resonator after the muffler...
03/04 no resonators, 05 got a rear resonator, 07 got front and rear (due to MDS) and in 2008 they removed the front resonator.

I have an 07 and NO muffler shop will remove cats (on the books anyway)

·
Registered
420 Posts
03/04 no resonators, 05 got a rear resonator, 07 got front and rear (due to MDS) and in 2008 they removed the front resonator.

I have an 07 and NO muffler shop will remove cats (on the books anyway)

ahh ok, didnt realize that they had two on there. didnt mean to make it seem like i was questioning your knowledge!

·
Registered
57 Posts
no problem with removing resonators. i have a flowmaster which i hate and i took off my resonators. not too much loudder

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
A single Flowmaster isnt much to be honest. Got True Dual Cherry Bomb Extremes on mine. Kept the resonators... Heres a clip of the exhaust and yata yata yata.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA_oJZ47wQQ
I have a manga flow and mine sounds just as loud as that

As far as the res it wont really make that much of a difference if you remove them they are they for the drone of the mds

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have one flowmaster 40 just replacing the factory muffler and love the sound of it. I've had many other people with rams ask me what the exhaust setup is because they want to do the same. It stays very deep and isn't raspy. On the highway it's not overbearing and sounds classy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts