DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the windows tinted yesterday after going nearly 4 years with no tint at all. Still waiting another 2 weeks or so for all the moisture under the film to cook out, but the heat difference is noticeable right away. I never planned to do tint but when we got the Durango (used) it came with tint and the AC seemed so much more effective and the heat from the sun shining in was much less intense.

I didn't do it for looks, though I think it does make the truck look more "expensive" if you will; IMHO super dark tint just looks ghetto. It depends on your paint color, you can go darker tint on darker paint colors, but the reason I wanted to do it was heat reduction and interior protection.

Anyway, I went with a highly recommended shop in the area (glad I didn't have to drive to Raleigh to get it done at a reputable shop). They installed Rayno S9 ceramic; it was $440 for 35% on the back and 4 side windows, and another $160 for 70% on the windshield.

And since every thread is worthless without pics :LOL::

I'll try and snag a few more while the sun is high in the sky today

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

Also, I added this temporary mod over all the window switches to help prevent myself (or anyone else) from having a quick mental slip and making an expensive mistake:

I'm worried that I'll be pulling through the gate on the way to work in the early morning and forget I can't roll them down for a couple weeks:158:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Looks really good, I keep going back and forth about getting my fronts done.It is illegal here but I think the benefits might just outweigh the bad, I'm thinking of going around 30-30% as well and hope it will be light enough that they just won't hassle me.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some pics in daylight; its really bright outside so I think the camera makes the tint look darker than it actually is, and I think the side and back tint make the windshield look darker than it is. I'll try and get some cloudy pics too.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a comparison pic from before with similar lighting:

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
Did you do the eyebrow on the windshield?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you do the eyebrow on the windshield?
No, the Durango has that and I prefer the windshield to all be the same shade. Our Grand Caravan had a blue one when I was a kid but now it seems the trend is to make it lower at the sides and I don't like that

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
808 Posts
No tint at all on the windshield, drivers window or passenger window. The windows on the back doors and rear window can be tinted.
Same laws we have here in B.C but there's still a ton of cars that have tint on the drivers and passengers front windows. I don't think they hassle you too much about it unless its super dark so I'll probably end up doing my truck.

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
I'm glad I can find the front windows here. The only restrictions are the front two doors can't be darker than 33%.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Mine were tinted when I purchased it used a while back. You'll notice a real improvement in comfort, particularly when the sun is on the drivers side.

The downside is backing up at night. I need to roll down the window to see the edge of the driveway. I know I have a backup camera but I'm old and still like to use my mirrors in narrow spots.

Not a major issue however.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,583 Posts
I like the 70% on the windshield, illegal here but I usually have a sunshade when parked outside. Can you only go 35 on the fronts, why not 20% to match the rears?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the 70% on the windshield, illegal here but I usually have a sunshade when parked outside. Can you only go 35 on the fronts, why not 20% to match the rears?
I could have gone 20, but like I said I wasn't going for dark, just to reduce heat and UV. I still want to be able to back up at night. 35 is minimum legal in Texas and is plenty dark.

Especially on a white and chrome truck 20 would look kinda ghetto

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
1 - 20 of 37 Posts