DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this camera for a good price> As you can imagine I want to install it. Well as you can see below the instructions are sketchy. There are two wires that plug into the camera and the display. Both have a power connector on one end and the other is a pair of wires Black and Red. I'm guessing on the display end black to ground and red to power switched or not?? On the camera end I figure black to ground and red to reverse lights. Have I got this figured right? Went to their site and no install directions available.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? Bueller, Bueller...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got a similar camera from Pyle, but the one I bought was wireless. My camera had 6 pieces: (1) Camera; (2) transmitter with exposed red and black wires and an RCA plug; (3) a cigarette lighter power supply; (4) the receiver with red & black wires and an RCA plug and (5) the monitor with two RCA plugs and exposed red and black wires.

In the cab, you connect (3), (4) and (5). The red and black wires on the receiver (or in your case, the monitor) to the red and black on the cigarette lighter plug. That powers the monitor, but it will stay off until the camera turns on. You can plug the RCA (yellow plug) into either "video" or "camera," not sure why they have both.

Outside the truck, for the camera, plug the black into the ground wire on the truck and the red into the reverse. My solution (pics to come) was to use the trailer wiring harness behind the rear bumper. (Mine is a 2011, and has a 7 way and 4 way). The wiring plug cover (outside of the truck) should tell you which wire is the reverse lights. On mine, it was the center (easy to find).

You can pull the plug out from the chassis side, but use a felt tip marker before you do to note which is the bottom right wire (or your choice, but mark it somewhere.) The colors are not standard across trucks, not even for black=ground. When you pull out the trailer wiring harness, it's difficult to figure out which wire is which, except for the center one. On mine, the wiring harness plug had a black terminal with a gray piece that is held on by plastic tabs. This is used as a comb to keep the wires from bundling. You can remove it if it's in the way. With the harness unplugged, you should have enough room to strip the wires.

Unwrap but don't cut the racers tape (gritty electrical tape) about 6 inches to free the 7 wires. Take a wire stripper and carefully expose the shielding on the ground and reverse wire. Don't cut the shielding, just strip it so the shielding spreads apart and you have one wire with an exposed conductor. Connect the Pyle wires accordingly and tape with electrical tape. Rewrap with the racers tape and plug it back in. Use some nylon ties to tie the cables to the chassis and bumper.

Back in the cab, plug in the monitor and plug the camera wire into the RCA plug on the monitor. Put the truck in reverse and you should (after a few seconds) see the monitor turn on. If not, press the button on the side of the monitor--sometimes that helps.

Mine busted, and I need to replace it. (Pyle is a good name for the product). The wireless antenna fell off the transmitter and now I got nothing on the monitor. Going to return it for the wired version, which means I have to route the RCA cable into the truck through the firewall.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very helpful thanks! I too have the 4 and 7 pin connector. I don't have the lighter plug that you have and never thought to wire it to the lighter. Haven't had a chance to install it yet but will soon. Not looking forward to running the RCA cable front to back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Trust me, you're better off with the hard wire. I spent the last few days thinking the transmitter was busted (the tiny antenna fell out in my hand when I opened the box). Turns out the cigarette lighter wiring broke off like an icicle and the receiver is so frail that I have to literally hold it together to get a signal. All while backing up!

I've decided to upgrade my radio and already ordered my the CHR550 lockpick and an RBZ receiver, so I'll need to run the cable anyway. I've only had it for a week, but I'm already looking forward to dumping the Pyle. The camera itself is fine, but the monitor and other hardware is a Pyle of junk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts