DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2011 ram 1500 SLT was wanting to go with the quad headlights as the SLT does not come with them . my question is the wiring harness set up for quad headlights ? thanks for any help just don't want to pull the grill then find out that it's not :LOL:

G

·
Sorry...I haven't looked at the harness on your generation truck.

As a general rule of thumb, to cut costs, they don't generally have two harnesses for specific options. They tend to standardize and if an option needs two plugs, there are two plugs on the harness. If an option only needs one plug, it uses one of the two that are present.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry...I haven't looked at the harness on your generation truck.

As a general rule of thumb, to cut costs, they don't generally have two harnesses for specific options. They tend to standardize and if an option needs two plugs, there are two plugs on the harness. If an option only needs one plug, it uses one of the two that are present.
that is what my tech at the dealer is thinking but not sure

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
my 2011 SLT Outdoorsman came with the quad headlights... That just means you have a separate bulb for highs and lows right?

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI: Retrofit Headlamp Bulb Suggestion for Quad Headlamps from Daniel Stern - This improved the stock lighting on my 2011 Power Wagon tremendously.

The best low beam bulb you can install is http://store.candlepower.com/bconibr90ulh5.html which has a higher-luminance filament that should improve matters.

If you want to upgrade the high beams, go to your local Chevrolet dealer (or
www.gmpartsdirect.com for a better price) and pick up two part number 15094219. That is a 9011 bulb. They are not some tinted or overwattage version of 9005, but share the identical filament geometry and base architecture as well as the same power consumption.

Here's the comparison:

stock: 9005, 12.8V, 65W, 1700 lumens, 320 hours
new: 9011, 12.8V, 65W, 2530 lumens, 320 hours

The 9011 bulbs have a double-wide top ear on the plastic bulb base, this is to comply with the law requiring different bulbs to have different bases.
The extra-wide plastic top ear is easily trimmed or filed to make the bulb fit your headlamp's bulb receptacle. Once that's done, they go directly into the headlamp, and the existing sockets snap on. Please see
http://dastern.torque.net/Mods/HIRmod.html for details.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
well i pulled the grill and head light today there are two plugs one for the headlight one for the turn/marker light i have been looking at pic's of quad lights looks like one plug for dual lights and one for the signal/marker. now will the quad headlight plug into the wiring harness ? anybody here added the quad lights ? :4-dontknow:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
update on headlight upgrade

FYI: Retrofit Headlamp Bulb Suggestion for Quad Headlamps from Daniel Stern - This improved the stock lighting on my 2011 Power Wagon tremendously.

The best low beam bulb you can install is http://store.candlepower.com/bconibr90ulh5.html which has a higher-luminance filament that should improve matters.

If you want to upgrade the high beams, go to your local Chevrolet dealer (or www.gmpartsdirect.com for a better price) and pick up two part number 15094219. That is a 9011 bulb. They are not some tinted or overwattage version of 9005, but share the identical filament geometry and base architecture as well as the same power consumption.

Here's the comparison:

stock: 9005, 12.8V, 65W, 1700 lumens, 320 hours
new: 9011, 12.8V, 65W, 2530 lumens, 320 hours

The 9011 bulbs have a double-wide top ear on the plastic bulb base, this is to comply with the law requiring different bulbs to have different bases.
The extra-wide plastic top ear is easily trimmed or filed to make the bulb fit your headlamp's bulb receptacle. Once that's done, they go directly into the headlamp, and the existing sockets snap on. Please see http://dastern.torque.net/Mods/HIRmod.html for details.
I followed the suggestions above to impove the lighting on my quad headlights.

There is quite a difference in the light output and the install was very easy.

Thanks aquaman1945 for the information, it was very helpful.

·
Registered
219 Posts
the candlepower website is great! thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2012 ram express with the dual lights. I spent the money and bought the quads thinking that the bulbs were the same but they are not. The hole in the quads is too small for the dual bulb to fit in. I was thinking about maybe buying hids for the quad headlight and retro fiting them somehow havent figured it out yet. But to answer yalls question it is not plug and play!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The bulbs are different on the quads but at least for my 2011 the swap was plug and play. The new headlights came with bulbs and the wiring from the original dual light plugged right in to the pigtail on the quad headlight.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the same headlights as u, I tried the the quad headlights on my SLT and the dealer said that they would have to install and replace the single headlights for the quad headlight harness and the dealer said it would cost like $800 to install the quad headlights cuz the quad harness is like $350 a side plus labor. It's not even worth it lol. So I'm staying with my single headlights. Plus I have aftermarket black housing headlight bezels and they r bad ass lol.

·
Registered
290 Posts
the quad lights just plug right in. I added quads to my slt. you can get quad lights from rockauto.com for a little over $200

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
that's why I've been holding off on a set from Go Recon (or the ebay version)....didn't want to go through the pain of pulling everything apart to find out it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Don't expect a big difference when you go to a quad headlight. They still suck. You're better off upgrading the bulbs or going to a HID setup.

I went the cheap/easy route and just upgraded the bulbs in my fogs to HID's. They really light up the roadway now.

Darin

·
Registered
17 Posts
Soo...the quad lamp head light will plug into where the standard SLT lights were, just dont expect them to be brighter? maybe get an HID set up as well?

anyone have luck with a good HID for the standard headlamp w/DRL?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I got mine from eBay From seller orangemika. Amazing. Just pick either 35 or 55 watt balast. The color and bulb type. I can try to post pics tonight if anybody wants

·
Registered
95 Posts
These 9011 bulbs are only for the quads correct? Anything I can do bulb wise in my duals?

·
Registered
15,703 Posts
Don't expect a big difference when you go to a quad headlight. They still suck. You're better off upgrading the bulbs or going to a HID setup.

I went the cheap/easy route and just upgraded the bulbs in my fogs to HID's. They really light up the roadway now.

Darin
was that just remove and replace? or did you have to change any of the wiring to get the HID to work? tks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts