DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some new Yokohama ATS today and went down to get an alignment about 2 hours ago. I got the tires from Discount Tire but got the alignment at a local garage.

Just pulled into my driveway and checked the air pressures. 45 psi on all 3 tires except for the front right. The front right was SHOWING 27 psi! Would this affect my alignment angles since the alignment was done with one tire at 45psi and the other at 27psi?

Here are my alignment results:
Front Left Toe Before:-0.05
Front Left Toe After: 0.06

Front Right Toe Before: 0.20
Front Right Toe After: 0.06

Should I get another alignment? Worried that the wheel with the 27 psi tire has the wrong angles and will wear out my tire early.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Shouldn't be an issue as the alignment is done in reference to the rim (or should be). Having said that, the alignment shop 'Should' verify the tire size/pressure, etc. before starting the process. :shakehead:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tires and alignments are about the only time I bring my cars to be touched by other people. I would expect that a tire shop that sells JUST TIRES would let me drive out the parking lot with 27psi in a brand new tire.

I'm just glad I caught that problem early.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It will affect the alignment,to what extent is hard to say.If a tire is that low,it will load the suspension different and thats where your problem is,but like I said,it's hard to determine how it affects the alignment,just watch for tire wear.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Toe is not likely to be affected by TP.
Unfortunate that 2 shops let your truck pass through with improper TPs.
BTW, I think TP is at least as important (if not more) than alignment for tire life.

·
Registered
21 Posts
10+ yrs as auto tech, Toyota certified in suspension/alignment, ASE certified steering & suspension.... Yes, absolutely your tire pressures will affect alignment readings! This should be the FIRST thing the tech does when he pulls the vehicle on the rack. Quite possibly your tire pressures may not affect your toe settings, but definitely will affect other things like camber settings, which WILL wear your tires prematurely. If you found uneven tire pressures after a shop performed an alignment, I would personally be looking for a more reputable shop to be performing your alignments from now on. Hope this helps, and good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have bad inner tie rods that I'll be replacing once I get the part so I'll be bringing it in (to another shop) to get an another alignment.

I looked at the angles on a flat parking lot and I could kinda see that the angles weren't the same as the back wheels. I have about 400 miles on my new tires so I can't visibly see any premature wear yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts