DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2014 Longhorn has about 54k miles on it. I tow and haul heavy loads on occasion. Possibly once or twice a month.

I just noticed a squeal coming from one of my brakes. I did a quick visual inspection with the the wheels still on and the pads appear to have about a third left on them and rotors are still appear to look good. The brakes still feel good and stop my truck without any issues.

When I get a chance I will pull the wheels off and do a better check. I still have the OEM pad and rotors. I am wondering if I can just get by with replacing the pads if they look worn enough when I pull the wheels.

I am planning on the Powerstop Z36 rotor and pad kit next year and would like to hold off a bit if new pads will do until then.

I have micrometer I can use to check the rotor thickness. Can anyone tell me what the minimum thickness the front and rear rotors should be before they need to be changed out?

Do the OEM rotors normally last through 1 pad change? Thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
if your going to replace the pads, at least have a shop, machine the rotors. new pads have a nice flat surface... the rotor will have depth changes across its surface, hence, keeping the new pad from making full contact, so it is always recommended to put 2 flat surfaces together, or you could have reduction in stopping power... especially if your hauling a load. there are specs stamped into the rotors that will tell you the minimum thickness that they can be machined down to. keep in mind, if you machine the rotor you are removing material and more subject to having a rotor warp. (pulse in the pedal when stopping)

hope that helps

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
My 2 cents on a brake job. Rotors are cheap and not much more then having them machined! As mentioned at least get the rotors turned, BUT many do just pads . I assume you are not getting a fluttering when you step on the brakes ? How scored are the rotors ?

For Pads look at WAGMER OEX http://www.wagnerbrake.com/products/brakes/wagner-oex.html made for harder use.. LOVE mine :)

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Make sure you bed the new brakes properly or the new ones will squeak too

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,652 Posts
At 50k mine started being annoying with plenty of pad left, replaced them with z16 ceramic and haven’t looked back. Modern towing vehicle rotors should be as true as day one unless abused, throw a new set of pads on and give it 10 sets of 60-20 quick stops to seat on an open highway or country road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For what it's worth I always but the "Duralast" brand from Autozone. Both the rotors and pads have lifetime warranties. Don't waste your time turning rotors, just replace them. I had my last truck for 7 years and bought pads on rotors 1 time but changed them out several times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts