DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have a 2007 Dodge Durango that will not pass emissions because of a CEL and code P3497. According to the code, there is an issue with the MDS system. The dealer wants an astronomical price to repair it and I am not sure it is worth it for an 11 year old truck with over 220,000 miles.

My questions is this: How do I go about disabling the MDS system and if I do this, will that also prevent the CEL from illuminating so I can pass my emissions?

Thanks in advance for all comments.

Frank

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
P3497 DODGE - Multiple Displacement System Rationality Bank 2

Possible causes
Low oil pressure
Restricted oil passage
Engine mechanical condition
Multiple Displacement System (MDS) Solenoid fault

Tech notes
Although in some cases changing the engine oil may fix the problem, usually the Multi Displacement System Solenoid may need to replaced.

( Which Motor Oil are you using, i don't mean Brand, Is it 5w-20 ?? )

Read more: https://www.engine-codes.com/p3497_dodge.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have recently changed the oil and filter and that does not seem to be the problem as I am not getting a code for low oil pressure. I am using 5w-20 oil which is the recommended viscosity. I use synthetic oil but I don't see that being an issue. In addition, the oil stays pretty clean after a few thousand miles so I do not think I have any clogged oil passages.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you want to fully disable it that will require you to go in with a tuner and disable that function. At which point you will be able to clear the code and all should be right with the world again.

The other option you have is to disconnect the battery and replace the solenoid for that bank, it is no guarantee that will fix it and i believe those run around 100 bucks if memory serves me right but will probably be the cheapest option for you.

First I would try to disconnect the battery for 20 to 30 minutes let the code clear reconnect then drive it around and see if the CEL comes back on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah,

I have tried resetting the codes and disconnecting the battery and the light always comes back on. A new solenoid is under 100 bucks but it is a serious task getting to the old one to replace it. Not to mention that once you are in there, you might as well replace them all. The dealer wants way to much to do the job and I'm not too crazy about doing it myself.

I've been looking a tuners that could allow me to disable it but I want to make sure that if I shell out 3 or 4 hundred bucks, its going to work. Can anyone here recommend a tuner that they know will disable MDS on an '07 Hemi?

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can use hptuners to get it done the dongle will run about 300 bucks and then you need 2 credits that are 50 each so for 400 bucks you can get it done. I'd contact them to ask if you need anything else but your year durango is supported

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
I bet is an MDS solenoid.

You can disable MDS with a tuner

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update for everybody,

I purchased a Superchips tuner and used it to disable the MDS system. The CEL did not illuminate after a couple hundred miles. I took it for an emissions inspection this morning and it passed!

Now I can start playing with all of the other tuning options!!

Frank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts