DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer i would like to do some work for my engine, I'm planning on a cam, Maybe ported and polished heads, a new intake manifold, throttle body, and new rockers and valve springs. Also some electric fans, headers, and full exhaust.

But my question is I know i need a tune, but do I need to upgrade the ignition system? and what Kind of power am I looking at?

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Sounds like a fun summer project. Can't help you with the answers you're hunting but will watch with interest as the project progresses. Keep a photo documentary as you go.

E

·
0 Posts
Without some specific info on the cam, it's hard to estimate what you'll get outta this.

Yes, I'd upgrade the ignition by adding a MSD box and coil.

And you might consider B&G Performance for a PCM tune as you do the build. They will definitely need to know your specs to build you a good tune.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm in the process of a complete rebuild on a 5.9 but as to the ignition, I'm keeping with the OEM. Reason is I never had any problems with it. Have read different threads that people had problems with up grading the ignition but they do work them out. From a performance stand point, not on the list of things to do for me. Comes down to how your going to use your truck, speed or mpg. Everything you listed to do except the ignition, I'm doing also.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I'm looking at the hughes whiplash can, the air gap from hughes, and one of there throttle bodies.

·
Registered
115 Posts
you might also want to take a look at performance injection equipment.com give chris a call he also has cams but just doesnt have them on the site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts