DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2002 Quad Cab 4x4 with 5.9L and was wondering if anyone had a diagram of the stock exhaust. I have looked online and can't find an actual diagram, just a generic version. I looked under my truck, and the cat has been cut out and replaced with a pipe. i am just trying to figure out what I need to do to get it back to factory specs. I am throwing codes saying the cat needs to be replaced and its also hurting my MPG's greatly. I am wanting to go with a true dual exhaust...but doing so means I have to buy 2 cats right?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any idea on what that might run me? I figured Id go worth a magnaflow cat even if i just put it in the stock location...just need something for now (budget is smaller than expected) so it will pass inspection and get better mileage...gas just hit 3.99 here and wit the exhaust leak and no cat its drinking the gas lol....also need to do plugs, wires, cap and rotor, but gotta wait till the weekend

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am I supposed to have 2 cats on this truck? I was thinking it was like my 2000 silverado, had cat on each down-pipe from manifolds, then went dual into muffler and single out....but isn't what I thought lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just went and talked to the local mechanic (used to work for dodge and is a big dodge enthusiast) and he looked and said that the exhaust on my truck is factory. Said that being 4x4 it just has one cat. So guess I am gonna be looking for a cat now lol...

The exhaust on my truck has a pip coming down from each manifold into a Y, then has a cat, then goes back to the muffler....

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I'd look around for a local exhaust shop. Those direct fit cats are extremely expensive, and it's easier to find a local guy who can get you a universal cat cheaper. That's what I did when I needed a new cat. It was pretty much the same price to run two cats instead of just one, so now my exhaust is true dual.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I plan on just using one universal cat and then having a shop go duals from there. Was wanting true duals, but will have to run pipe along the factory location, and will kind of defeat the purpose of true duals, since one pip will be extremely longer than the other. Will post pics of whatever I do. thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts