DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I was thinking about getting some Tire Chains for the snow & ice. I learned by checking out some other post on chains, that some size wheels they can not be used. I have the 275 60 20 wheels, does anyone know if there is an issue with this size and if not, then what is the chain of choice?
Snow tires are not really an option due to cost. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GT, those look amazing! I would say that's a perfect option for me except it states:
ONLY TO BE USED FOR SHORT DISTANCES
FOR EXAMPLE A PARKING LOT OR DRIVEWAY.
DO NOT SPIN OR EXCEED 5 MPH.
So I am not sure if this is what I am after...

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
sorry, i should have checked it out better
guess they are for when you are already where your in trouble
or on a muddy trail

when i lived in New England, i used to buy retread winter tires & switched back after the spring thaw

·
Registered
77 Posts
I run Laclede highway service chains up to 45mph in 4x4 with them on all 4 tires when it gets really icy here in AK. They do have your size tire available and I would avoid cables at all costs. Most of the commercial truckers going up to Prudhoe Bay / Deadhorse also swear by Laclede chains. They'll run 200+ miles a day with them on.

Get highway service chains if you'll be driving normally on / off road; they'll last much longer.

Laclede Chain Applications is the website to search for your tire size; I already ran it and they are available.

HTH

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
I remember another member saying that the 275/60R20s aren't recommended to have chains due to the lack of clearance on the inside of the tire. I would highly recommend checking what kind of clearance you have on the inside of the tire before picking up chains. As for the chains, there's nothing better than a set of V-bar chains. I have a pair of them on my work truck and they have been life savers in many winters/spring thaws. You do have a speed limit with chains, for us company policy is no faster than 50km/hr (35-40mph) because of the damage losing a chain can do to your fenders. If you have mudflaps, you'll also want to bungie them back so they don't snag on the chains and rip off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.